How long will it take to get my normal weight or steady weight back? What can I do to regain my normal weight?

im 18 and i started working out and eating about 1000 calories a day for about 3 months and i read that it was wrong and it could cause damage for my metabolism so i went back to my normal lifestyle and its been 4 months and my weight keeps going up I'm gained about 8 kgs and even in this week it went from 63.5 kg to 65.5 kg and i made blood test and it was normal.i would like to know how long will this be going on ? and what can i do to regain my normal wight which was before the diet 58 .thx

Calorie Intake

Thank you for the inquiry!

While it is important to restrict calorie intake in order to not "feed the fat" during a weight-loss program, you should not be eating less than your required calories needed for basic metabolic functions. Calculating your basal metabolic rate (your body's caloric need to perform necessary physiological functions at rest) can be done so easily online. 

Extreme restrictions with harsh increases in calories periodically will lead to fluctuations in your metabolism in which lasting weight loss results will not be seen. I always suggest following a balanced diet rich in vegetables, nuts, lean protein, and nutrient dense snacks. Medical weight loss programs, such as the ones offered at my practice, could be beneficial for you so long as you follow your personalized plan to ensure the best results.

Best of luck

Losing weight

Losing weight is not easy for most people who are overweight. A lot depends on you and your personality type, lifestyle, metabolism, and attitude. If you want to learn how to lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life, you should do a program that encompasses all these aspects.

Three main aspects for losing weight are eating right, exercising adequately, and getting support regularly. A restricted diet is necessary, such as < 1000 cals/day. Limit carbs such as sweets, breads, pastas; make sure you eat enough protein, at least 50 gm/day; eat lots of vegetables and some low glycemic fruits; some nuts and oils, such as olive oil. Exercise regularly, every day if you can, with good vigorous activities. See a diet counselor or physician at least every other week; if you have a support person, use them.

For further information on my plan, The True Diet, go to my website (see link below). I also utilize methods to change your metabolism, to make sure hormones are optimized, to lower inflammation, and much more. It’s not just calories in should be less than calories out. Good Luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN