Non Surgical Treatment for Deep Under Eye Circles?

I look horible with those circles and every body asks me when i slept last time:( i need help

Laser Surgery is most effective treatment for dark circles under the eyes

Denise,

You are correct that there is a depression beneath your lower eyelid-I call this the arcus deformity.

While IPL treatments can lighten the skin color of the lower eyelid, they will not help the depression and shadow beneath your lower eyelid.

I do not inject fillers beneath the lower eyelid-they are dangerous and can injure the eye, and many patients who have had filler injections beneath the eyes have had nasty complications.

The definitive operation to remove deep dark circles under the eyes is the transconjunctival laser blepharoplasty with arcus release and fat grafting. (See photo)

I use a laser to make a tiny incision on the inside of your lower eyelid, release the arcus which is causing the depression and take a tiny piece of fat from around your belly button and place it into the hollow area under your eye.

This is very different from external fat grafting by needle injection-I do not use the needle technique because the results are often inaccurate, the fat can be lumpy, and the injection technique can injure the eye.

Non Surgical treatment for Dark Circles

The skin around the eyes is the thinnest and most delicate – that is why it’s one of the first areas to show the signs of aging such as wrinkles, crows feet and dark circles. What’s more, this skin continues to get thinner and more translucent as we get older (why the small reddish-blue blood vessels under the skin can peek through, creating dark undereye circles).
The eye area also has very little subcutaneous fat tissue, and what’s there, diminishes with time—one reason this area (particularly under the eyes) can develop a sunken, hollow look as we age. The eye area is also surrounded by several facial muscles that regularly contract as we express ourselves.
Add to this a slowdown in the production of the skin-firming proteins collagen and elastin as we get older (and, as a result of exposure to the sun), and you have the development of fine lines and wrinkles both under and around the eyes (called “crows feet”). This is why the eye area is a very common concern we treat.
Our goal is to restore the eyes to their most natural, youthful beauty. We regularly do this with our patients through a variety of customized treatment options including:
Fillers: Like Restylane, Juvederm, hyaluronic acid fillers, are used to add natural volume back to the sunken areas under the eyes.
Injectables: Like Botox and Dysport help immobilize the muscles that surround the eyes to prevent the skin from creasing—causing wrinkles.
Lasers: Can help stimulate the growth of skin-firming tissues like collagen and elastin.

Dark circles can be hereditary—and can be caused by allergies, exposure to the sun (the sun’s UV rays trigger the production of the skin pigment melanin—which can make this area look darker), and even excessive rubbing. We will assess your eye area and advise you on the most effective treatments to help even out this area’s skin tone.

Dennis Gross, MD

Dark Circle Treatment

Sometimes, the dark circles or what appear as "bags" can actually be caused by a loss of volume in the tear troughs. This can be corrected by proper placement of a soft filler. The tear troughs can be challenging to treat since the skin is quite thin, so proper technique and choice of the correct filler is paramount. If the dark circles are caused by discoloration of the skin, lightening creams such as hydroquinone can help improve this discoloration.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Genetic considerations

In reviewing your photos, you appear to be young and have a tear trough deformity. Pigment may play a role but is not a key factor in your problem. The reason for the deformity is a space between the muscles of the eyelid and the side of the nose/cheek. The space gives a tight depression that would only be corrected with a filler or implant into the area. Fat is a good filler for this problem. You can also go to a doctor skilled in tear trough implants.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Options for under eye hollowness, dark circles

There are a variety of options for treating under eye dark circles caused by tear trough deformity (hollowness) including filler injection, fat injection, and tear trough implant. Filler injection is easiest, fastest, least invasive option. The result usually lasts 1+ year with subsequent injections lasting longer. It is important to be conservative with amount of filler injected besides precise technique. The type of filler also matters. See following link and video.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes and No.

Hello Denisse,

Well you can have "fillers" injected into these "dents" under your eyes, the tear troughs, but these fillers do not last long. To change the color can be difficult using surgery, peels or lasers, but make-up, bleaching creams and sun screens can decrease this color a bit.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Best to try to cover dark circles

Most dark circles are inherited problems. Many are due to the number of small blood vessels under the thin skin of the lids. At your age a concealer would be a good option. I have had many patients do well with a product called Teamine. It has a micronized metal that reflects light and makes the area seem less dark. Other options, of course, include the injectable agents but it is unlikely that any bleaching creams would be of benefit.

Full Nights Sleep and Still Looking Tired

Hi Denisse,

You would benefit from having filler carefully placed in your lower eye hollows. I use Restylane which works very well. If you prefer permanent filler, then fat transfer would be your solution.

The under eye area is very delicate with thin skin and unforgiving anatomy. Therefore you should choose your treating physician most carefully to avoid complications and unsatisfactory results.

Good luck and be well. By the way, get some sleep when you get the chance :).

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for deep tear troughs

Restylane injections done by an experienced provider would be the best solution for you. Fat injection in this area can be tricky, and can change with time as you age. Restylane is temporary, but usually lasts really long in this area. You will probably need an injection about once a year.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Bleaching creams,peels,laser and fillers!

Hello Denisse

There are several factors contributing to the appearance of dark circles around the eye:

1-A true hyperpigmentation (skin discoloration): Several bleaching creams, peels or lasers could help with the discoloration. The word of wisdom is to be conservative especially with lasers and peels.

2-The second factor is the presence of deep lines under the eyes (tear trough) Using filler will help to decrease the optical elusion of discoloration and shadows.

3-The simple, easy answer is using camouflage makeup (mineral makeup etc...).

I hope this will help

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS