Bumps on Penis and Pubic Area, What Is It? (photo)

I have these 2 bumps on my pubic region which I thought was an ingrown hair which now seems infected. It feels as if there is a lump under the skin though. I have a couple cysts on my back and it kind of feels like that. I also have these raised bumps on my penis. I haven't had unprotected sex in many, many years and they just appeared somewhat recently. Are these STD symptoms or something harmless? What is my next step? All help is appreciated. Thanks

Doctor Answers 3

They are a viral cousin to genital warts known as molluscum contagiosum...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

and they are rather contagious (both to nearly sites on your body and of course to sexual partners) as their name indicates...and perhaps worse yet you didn't realize you were at risk...and in the day of HIV infections, sexually transmitted hepatitis and of course the old standbys of herpes and chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc...why take the chance...while you claim no unprotected intercourse, the virus doesn't seem to pass through condoms...prevention is the first choice...treatment options abound but interestingly none are all that pleasant...and the virus has a long dormancy...meaning it may pop up again for quite sometime even without further exposure...be extra careful and see your doctor

Las Vegas Dermatologist

Bumps on pubic area and penis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Some of the lesions in the picture look like warts, while others look like molluscum contagiosum, both are superficial skin viruses and can be treated with liquid nitrogen and/or a variety of creams. Best to speak with your dermatologist about the best treatment options for you. Be careful out there.  Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Bumps on the penis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As best  I can tell from the picture, it looks like you may even have 2 conditions.  Some of the lesions look like genital warts but one or two look like molluscum.  Both can be considered STDs.  I would recommend that you be assessed by a dermatologist.  They are relatively easy to treat.

Peter J. Jenkin, MD, FAAD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.