Good morning sir/mam. I have a weight question I would like to ask.

Good morning sir/mam. I have a weight question I would like to ask. The question is I am a 23 year old male who is 6"2 that weighs 225pounds. I would like to lose some weight. So the question I like to ask is is it safe to drop 1500 or 1000 calories per week. And if u say I ok to drop 1500 is it also ok to burn 500 more calories per burn exercising to lose 4 pounds per week. And same goes for 1000?

Deciding on Weight Loss

Thank you for the inquiry!
I agree that restricting caloric intake is beneficial when attempting to begin a weight loss program; however, I disagree with restricting caloric intake to such an extreme level which will not allow your body to function properly. Your body has a basic metabolic rate which simply requires you intake a certain amount of calories for proper metabolic functions. You can calculate your specific rate easily online with the link provided.

Extreme restrictions will lead to physical exhaustion and the intense fluctuations in your metabolism will not provide for lasting weight loss. I always suggest following a balanced diet rich in vegetables, proteins, nuts, and nutrient dense snacks.  Medical weight loss programs, could be beneficial for you so long as you follow your personalized plan to ensure the best results.Best of luck

Safety of low calorie diet

It is definitely safe to drop calories as you suggested, and even more if you want to get serious about weight loss.  Losing weight is not easy for most people who are overweight. A lot depends on you and your   personality type, lifestyle, metabolism, and attitude. If you want to learn how to lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life, you should do a program that encompasses all these aspects.
Three main aspects for losing weight are eating right, exercising adequately, and getting support regularly. A restricted diet is necessary, such as < 1000 cals/day. Limit carbs such as sweets, breads, pastas; make sure you eat enough protein, at least 50 gm/day; eat lots of vegetables and some low glycemic fruits; some nuts and oils, such as olive oil.  Exercise regularly, every day if you can, with good vigorous activities. See a diet counselor or physician at least every other week; if you have a support person, use them.
For further information on my plan, The True Diet, go to my website (see link below). I also utilize methods to change your metabolism, to make sure hormones are optimized, to lower inflammation, and much more. It’s not just calories in should be less than calories out. Good Luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN