What can I do for these acne scars? (Photo)

Hello i need some help have had these small hypertrophic acne scars all over my cheeks for about 4 years i want to know how to get rid of them. I went to my local dermatologist he diagnosed them as small bumps best described as hypertropic scars. He said to use a scar gel and silicone pads initially but these had not effect and they were to small to inject with steroids. So i am looking for advice on the best treatment and what improvement i can expect. Thank you for all the help.

Doctor Answers 5

Acne Scars vs cysts vs others

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Very unusual pattern to have this kind of scarring. I have seen tiny uniform hypertrophic scars before, but usually not so extensive, and usually around the the chin area. Are these hard? 
They could represent micro cysts, and in this case, I use laser to extract them. 

I think a diagnosis is needed before any treatment. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Acne scars?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Im not convinced they are acne scars.  You have what appears also to be some fibrous papules on your nose.  Some lesions look dermal (deep).  I'm wondering if these are multiple trichoepitheliomas.  A few look like sebaceous hyperplasia (oil glands) but many do not.  Some appear deeper.  Are they rock hard?  They could be osteoma cutis (ectopic bone growth in the skin) which can be related to acne scars.  Perhaps it's an artifact of the photos but maybe consider a diagnostic biopsy if the dermatologist has any doubt.

Christopher Dannaker, DO, FAAD
Monterey Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Treatment options available

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your photos are not too clear, but getting a clear diagnosis is critical.  If truly hypertrophic or keloid scars, treatment with steroid injections and fractionated laser or radio frequency devices are an option.  However, sometimes, in lesions that are unclear, a biopsy may distinguish between what is scar and what is not.  Regardless, options are available, so seek help today with a specialist experienced in treating darker skin-types,  if these lesions bother you.  Best wishes, Shobhan.

Lasers for Acne Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A combination of lasers and PRP with microneedling with help treat these scars.  Please consult a specialist in acne scars for the best cosmetic advice.  Best, Dr. Green

Hypertrophic acne scars. Englewood Cliffs NJ

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In my opinion,  I would first try to inject the scars with steroid, 5 fluorouracil or verapamil. TheNext Step would be to combine this with fractionated ablative or non-ablative laser or micro-needling. Multiple treatments will be necessary. A good scar gel is also a helpful adjunct  to the above regimen. Find a scar expert who can coordinate your treatment.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.