I'm male and now have marks they are very dark after having lots of pimples - what should I do?

Doctor Answers 3

Acne scars

I would suggest you to make an appointment with certified dermatologist who will create a treatment plan for your personal case, depending on your skin condition, type of scars and severity, skin color and type. It is hard to give you more specific opinion without pictures. It is not professional to suggest any topical products without being aware of your condition. For some people, using topical and oral medications, situation improves to their likening, while some continue with chemical peels, microdermabrasion to improve skin texture, and with lasers as well. Good luck! 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

I'm male and now have marks they are very dark after having lots of pimples - what should I do?

Hyperpigmentation from acne scars is very common and can be frustrating. The main thing you need to know if that doing stronger more aggressive is not the thing to do if you have darker skin color. Any laser could make it worse if your skin is not prepared. I would start with a good skin care regimen that includes a skin bleacher, Retin A and sun screen. Then you can do some light chemical/ microdermabrasion. Find a good Dermatologist or Pastic Surgeon and get a skin evaluation first. I wish you luck!

Bruce K. Smith, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Improving PIH from acne

Without pictures, it is hard to say exactly. These can improve in general with Retin A, hydroquinone, and chemical peels. If not improving after 4-5 months, consider laser therapy.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.