I want to know about the treatment of chicken pox deep marks ?

Hello dear sir, I have almost 15 deep chicken pox marks on my face. I had chicken at 17 years old now I am 25 could you please guide me what I should do ? I had laser twice But that didn't work much ..

Treatment of chicken pox scars in Los Angeles

Treatment of chicken pox scars is optimal with PRP, subcision, fillers, and fractional lasers to help smooth out the dermis. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Chickenpox Scars on Face Needs Combination Therapy --- Subscision, Filler Such as Bellafill or Juvederm, Lasers

These are quite difficult to improve, but can get some good improvement with subcision and bellafill filler injections and/or combining lasers. I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with experience in scar treatments. Best, Dr. Emer.

Options for chicken pox scars

The typical type of scars from chicken pox are called "icepick" scars, and are narrow but fairly deep. The best options in my opinion are punch excision with closure if they are less than 1.5 mm, or punch grafting using postauricular skin if larger. This can be followed by laser resurfacing as a second stage to further improve skin contour, color and texture. Everything can be done without general anesthesia in most cases. Good luck!

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Subcision Can Improve Deep Scars & Microneedling Can Help To Better Blend Surface Color & Texture

First let me say how sorry I am that you are having this problem. Unfortunately, mature scars, from any cause, including those arising from chicken pox, cannot be completely erased, although they may be significantly improved. 

I am hardly surprised by the lack of response to laser treatments, however. Anyone who is a regular reader of my responses knows well that it has been my experience that lasers and other, relatively expensive light and energy-based technologies, including the much touted fraxels, have proven disappointing and appear to be far more backed by device manufacturer supported marketing hype than hard science.

That having been said, we do have some relatively inexpensive modalities that can improve the appearance of these scars. Subcision works well for elevating depressed scars and decreasing the shadowing "craters of the moon" effect that make deeper scars stand out more.  If necessary or desired, microneedling can be used to improve the surface tone and texture of the scars and help to blend them better with the surrounding normal skin, particularly following subcision. Both procedures are quick and simple enough that they may be easily combined in one treatment session to save time. To learn more about these techniques, you can check out the archives of RealSelf.com.

Make sure to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified, core aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in all forms of scar treatments. And be certain to ask to see his/her before and after photos before proceeding. Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD