I am a slave to my acne. Is birth control my only option? (Photo)

For years I have been suffering with acne, only for it to get increasingly worse. The only times it is clear are when I am tan, but I still have some dark spots/scars (no pits thankfully). I've tried chemical peels, a no dairy/meat/oil diet, all kinds of acne specific skin care routines, and nothing resulted in a permanent solution. I want to be able to go out in public without needing makeup, I have minor thyroid issues and endometriosis, is that a part of it? Is birth control my only option?

Thank you for your question.  Please be evaluated by a board certified Dermatologist as there are many possible treatment options likely combination therapy including oral contraceptives, topical retinoids, oral antibiotics or possibly Accutane will yield the best results for you.  Additionally, if sunlight improves your acne you can consider a series of Laser Genesis treatments for which we are seeing remarkable results at clearing active acne and improving scarring, texture and tone of the skin.  There are studies being undertaken currently to understand the effect of Laser Genesis on acne.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon