How to Improve Skin Elasticity After Pregnancy?

I need a reality check. I gained a lot of weight during my 1st pregnancy and since losing it, my skin elasticity is less than desirable. I need an honest answer about what can and can't be done.

I am willing to spend the time and money - but only for a treatment that really works. It is an awful feeling to feel trapped in a body you have no power to change. But honestly, I think it's worse to go on hoping and praying - wasting endless time and money to be repeatedly disappointed.

Oh, and to be more clear, I am referring to overall skin and not one specific area. Thanks!

Doctor Answers 2

How to improve skin elasticity after pregnancy?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The direct answer is - you CANNOT regain elasticity once it is lost - you cannot erase stretch marks because they are really cracks in the skin NOT superficial marks.

If you happen to be young, have the right ethnic genes, have thick skin which is NOT sun/UV damaged and are a non-smoker, you MAY get some tightening of the skin. The process usually maximizes by 6 months or so after pregnancy.

If your skin looseness persists and your weight is stable with a BMI of 23 to 28 and you are not planning on having another child, you may want to consider an Abdominoplasty.

You can learn much more on my website at -



Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Memphis Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like you need a tummy tuck.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


If you have a lot of loose skin, minimally invasive procedures are minimally effective.

If you are done with babies, you probably will be  happy with a tummy tuck.  There is some recovery, and a scar, but you can be be really flat.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.