What Type of Acne Scar Treatments Should I Get, and How Much Will It Cost? (photo)

I have had acne as a teenager in the past however they were only mild breakouts. Recently (I'm now 25) I have broken out severely due to stress. The active acne appears to be gone however I have a ton of acne scars leftover. What type of acne scar treatments would you recommend. I have light asian skin.

Doctor Answers 2

Acne Scar Treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on what I can see in the photos, you still have a good amount of active acne. This should be treated aggressively so as to avoid further scarring.  You can address treatment options for acne scarring once your acne is better controlled. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist. 

Boca Raton Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Treatment of acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have significant active disease and need to see a board certified dermatologist for aggressive control of your acne.  You need systemic antibiotics and possibly even a course of accutane to get your skin back into balance.  The only non-medical treatments I would offer patients such as you would be alternating red/blue light diode treatment,  BBL treatments, levulinic acid treatment with light therapy and possibly some salicyclic acid peels.  You need to get your acne under control first!  Don't let anyone go after you with mechanical or ablative skin treatments until the inflammatory acne is under control.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.