I had a silicone explanation done but the capsules were left. Is all of the silicone out of my body?

I suffered from silicone poisoning after getting silicone implants. My Dr left the capsules in after taking out the implants. I'm wondering if I have to worry about left over silicone or if it was all removed. My Physician was awesome and performed the whole thing under local anesthesia with no IV sedation.

Explantation

Total capsulectomy is recommended by the peer reviewed literature in order to avoid future complications.  Removal of the capsules is very important in recovery, along with antifungals, immune and endocrine support, detoxification, and treatment of co infections.  Please see the information on the web including the book I wrote on this subject.  I have treated over 2000 women with silicone toxicity.

Assuming that the breast implants had not ruptured, it is likely that the vast majority of silicone material has been removed.  In my practice, unless breast implant capsules are thickened or symptomatic, they are not necessarily removed.   Removal of capsule tissue unnecessarily exposes patients to unnecessary risk. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Silicone

There is likely to be silicone in the capsules left behind, but probably less than you get from your drinking water or any processed foods which have silicone in them.

Residual silicone

The capsule is generally a structure that is quite distinct and separate from the implant, especially if your implant's shell was smooth rather than textured.  No actual silicone would have integrated itself into the capsule over time, and therefore no silicone should be left behind in the remaining capsule. If your surgeon performed a thorough explantation of the ruptured implant and any associated silicone, the remaining capsule should be of no concern.

Stephanie Ma, MD
Waterloo Plastic Surgeon

Capsules after breast implant removal

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

For breast implant removals, as long the capsule is thin, soft and without calcium deposits, it is fine to leave them in. The body will reabsorb the thin layer over time. This is of no consequence and is entirely safe.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon