Solution/Treatment For my Acne Scars? (photos)

I need a permanent solution to post acne scars on my cheeks. I have done a lot of research but I have yet to come across any specialists in this department in Toronto for this issue. I've considered even travelling to Australia to see Dr. Davin Lim because I like his approach to scar mapping/ treating each type of scar with the right approach. Subscision/Fillers/Infini/Lasers etc. Of course a Doctor closer to home would be ideal, but I'm willing to travel. Suggestions/Courses of actions please!

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Treat acne first before scar revision

The absolute stand out feature in your second picture is that you have active acne. Most Specialist on this panel would agree you see a general dermatologist to place your acne in remission, then treat the scars. You have multiple scar types and will need a combination of -1. INFINI RF- I often combine with PRP, possibly CO2 fractional laser as well2. Subcision and dermal filling. Not complex, but this type of scarring will require 6-8 sessions over a year for the best outcomes. However placing your acne in remission is the absolute first step or you will be chasing scars. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim. Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne scars in Toronto

I think the first step for you would be to consult with a few doctors in Toronto that have experience treating acne scars. I don't think you need to travel to Australia to be helped. It sounds like you have done a lot of research already and you're right - combination therapy works best. You have have some superficial cysts or large milia in the photos that need to be removed before they become persistent or scar. Your scars are fairly deep, so aggressive fractional resurfacing should likely be a part of your treatment plan.
Best to you, Dr Norcom

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

Acne Scarring Treatment

Thank you for your question. If you haven't tried microneedling that in combination with chemicl peels would be a great start to start targetting that acne scarring. Please consult with a licenced practioner to be evaluated and see what other options there may be for you.

Jessica Glenn-Beatty, MD
Howell Family Physician

Treatment for Acne Scars

Treating acne scars is difficult and all acne scars are different.  Acne scars vary in size, depth, color and number.  Deep, large acne scars often are improved best by excising them.  You trade a large acne scar for a very small, linear scar after it heals.  The remainder of the acne scar treatment is dictated the size and color of the scar as well as your skin type.  Different lasers and treatments do different things to improve the overall skin texture.  A consult with someone who has treated them extensively is probably the best place to start.

Permanent solutions for Acne Scars in Toronto but willing to travel

The lasers and fillers sound all promising. I have done lasers and other acne scar work for over 16 years. No one treatment is going to treat all the scars of acne. Hence over the past 16 years I've developed a combination approach that uses five to seven steps treat all types of acne scars. Fillers are temporary and may not be the solution. Also fillers cannot change the scars. I work with fillers many times before for ice packs and boxcar scars. Sometimes it can work but a lot of times it can actually make them look a lot worse. And the reason is because the very tough scars or so scarred around them that the fillers tend to go around the scars instead of under them where they need it. I've seen that before. We have a combination approach that uses five to seven steps and it's all done in about 2 hours and it's called the Acne Scar Vitalizer Treatment.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon