Removing acne scars on upper mouth? (Photo)

I have deep scars on my upper mouse area. These scars are caused by squeezing acne when I was a teenager. What are the most effective ways to remove these scars?

Combination treatment for acne scars

I would use a combination of Ematrix RF, fractional Clear and Brilliant laser, and fillers to reduce the visibility of your acne scars. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Realself100 Surgeon

Acne Scars on Upper Lip

eMatrix or TCA peels or microneedling with Eclipse and PRP will all be effective at eliminating these scars. The key is to consult an expert for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

TCA CROSS

This scars may be treated very successfully with a series (1-3) of TCA CROSS procedure.  Great for icepick and boxcar scars, with minimal downtime and generally consistent results.  Best wishes, Shobhan.

Scars on mouth? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs, NJ

In my opinion, acne scars need to be treated based upon the type of scar. You have box cars as well as acne Pits on the upper lip. My suggestion would be to use a combination of modalities. TCA cross, micro needling, RF micro needling  (infini) ,ablative and non-ablative lasers would be helpful. Injections with steroids, Verapamil or 5 FU are also of assistance. Find an acne scar expert. Ask to see photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Removing acne scars with dermabrasion

Acne scars are challenging because they are such severe step-offs or pits of the skin. The goal is to get the skin surface to be more even. There are numerous skin resurfacing techniques to smooth the skin. Although lasers and chemical peels are great, they have the same issue. They both work at a controlled depth. This means that they will take down the surface skin and the pits the same amount, producing a fresh layer of step-offs.  

Dermabrasion is a mechanical resurfacing. It effectively takes down the hills to the level of the valleys. The danger is the risk of new scarring if too much skin is removed. It may be performed in stages or multiple sessions. It can even be done in the office. It is also a technique that is performed by fewer surgeons. Be sure to seek out someone who has experience with dermabrasion. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon