I'm a South Asian female with terrible hyperpigmentation. How do I get rid of it? (Photo)

I am South Asian who had cystic and pustular facial acne. It is gone but I do have scarring and terrible hyper pigmentation. My dermatologist recommended Obagi products when the hyperpigmentation first developed since my skin had a grayish hue. Obagi got rid of the grayish hue on my face (still persists on my neck), my face and neck remain darker than the rest of my body. Any recommendations on products I can use or types of treatments to pursue?

Doctor Answers 2

Hyperpigmentation and scarring in ethnic skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hyperpigmentation and scarring can be more challenging to treat in ethnic skin, such as Asian skin.  I usually use a combination of lightening agents and chemical peels for hyperpigmentation.  If the hyperpigmentation does not respond to these treatments, I have used laser treatments with success.  Daily use of a borad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 is also important part of the treatment regimen to prevent worsening of the hyperpigmenation.  The scarring can also be treated with laser treatments.  It is important that you see a board-certified dermatologist who is comfortable treating ethnic skin and has experience using these treatments in your skin type.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Asian skin and hyperpigmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A thorough understanding of Asian skin is essential for this treatment.  Hyperpigmentation is tricky and constant attention to sun avoidance is necessary for continued success.  I have like both a combination of chemical peels, bleaching agents, and topical Vitamin C for the best results.  I have also had great success with Cosmelan medical grade peels.  Please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in Asian skin for the best results.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.