What can I do about these acne scars? (Photo)

I went on accutane from June to November 2015 and it did a fairly good job at eliminating my active acne. However, I now have scars and red marks. The red marks will go away with time from what I understand. But more importantly, when can I treat these scars and what is the best possible method for treating them? What risks are involved in the method you recommend? And how severe (mild, moderate, or severe) would you say my scarring is?

Acne Scars and Best Treatments

Your scars will need a combination of fillers and lasers to improve the appearance.  I would definitely consider fillers like Bellafill and Sculptra for the deep scars.  A combination of lasers such as eMatrix, V-Beam, and eMatrix would be highly successful as well.  Please consult an expert in the field.  Best, Dr. Green

Target scar type= best result for acne scar revision

The video in the reference explains why it is important to find the correct METHOD based upon scar type. 

In your case, fractional devices such as CO2, Infini RF are the best, followed by surgical subcision and then focal dermal fillers. For a visual on how these are performed, see the attached video. 

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

These types of scars require a combination of lasers, fillers,subcision, TCA cross. Please see an expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne Scars

There are many techniques to treat acne scars, so consultation with an expert is recommended to discuss the best options for you.  I would use a combination of the Deep FX fractionated CO2 laser along with subcision and filling to improve your acne scars.  In good health, Dr. Keel

Treatment options

I have seen great success treating acne scars with a combination of Bellafill and laser/dermapen treatments. This combination can make a signifigant impant on reducing scarring. 

Fractional Resurfacing for Textured Acne scars

Hi Ted.  You may need a combination of treatments for best results, but you are correct that the lighting is not that great.  We would suggest fractional laser resurfacing and we use the Sciton Profractional Erbium laser.  Multiple treatments would be required for best results.

You would want to address these scars sooner rather than later as you will get better results the newer the scars are.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Treatment for Atrophic Acne Scars

You would likely benefit from a combination of deeper treatment to lift the scars (such as subcision and/or fillers) AND resurfacing treatments on the surface to smooth the skin (such as lasers or microneedling).  It is recommended to wait 6-12 months after Accutane before proceeding with any invasive treatments.  Pulsed dye laser is a gentle laser that could be used to reduce the redness within the scars.  In summary, the scars can likely be significantly improved but you will likely benefit from more than one type of treatment and repeated treatments over time.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon