Recommendations for improving appearance of stomach surgery scar? (photos)

I had a large pyloric stenosis scar revised through surgery approx. 2 years ago. Although the appearance has improved slightly, I am still unhappy with the look. It seems puckered and there is a small pocket of fat that sits above the incision. It creates a shadow effect that accentuates the size of the scar. I know it is impossible to remove it entirely, but I want it to blend into my skin as much as possible. What is the best way to revise a scar like this? Is surgery the only option?

Stomach scar

You look to have a great result from your pyloric stenosis surgery scar revision.  Scars from surgery performed when very young often grow and can be quite irregular.

The quality of your scar looks excellent and I don't think it can be improved.  If there is a small bump of fat above the scar casting a shadow (its a bit difficult to tell from the photo) then a small amount of liposuction here can improve the contour.  Best wishes.

Hull Plastic Surgeon

Embrace Active Scar Defense after Scar Revision

After a scar revision, many patients benefit from using Embrace Active Scar Defense to help diminish the appearance of their scar. Embrace is an active scar device that relieves scar tension, which is a major contributing factor in scar development. Relieving scar tension actually alters the formation of the scar. When consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon regarding a scar revision, be sure to ask about his or her scar therapy protocol so that you can achieve the best aesthetic outcome. Good luck!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Stomach Scar Solutions with lasers, microneedling/prp, revision

This can be improved with a combination approach of revision, lasers, microneedling/prp and/or fillers. I recommend a consultation with a scarring expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Abdominal scar

I like to treat depressed scars with a " vest over pants" technique.  In this type of scar revision, instead of cutting out and discarding the scar, only the top layer of the scar is removed ( like skinning it) .  The remaining scar is tucked under the upper skin like a vest goes over pants.  This way, the depression and the shadowing is improved by smoothing out the puckered in portion.  It works well. Find a board certified plastic surgeon to do this.  Good luck!

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon