What is the best procedure co2 laser fractional laser to remove acne scars ice pick scars? (photos)

I have acne scarring and icepick scarring on both cheeks. I also have fine lines above my upper lip. what is the best procedure or procedures that would reduce the scarring, as well as the fine lines? I live in South Florida. Would it be best that I treat with a dermatologist as opposed to a plastic surgeon? l have tried Obagi in the past and I have found it to be successful skin care line. I am currently using Retin A three times a week.

Acne Scar Treatment | Fractional and CO2 Lasers

Thank you for your question about acne scar treatment.

Treatment can be difficult.  Usually multiple treatment modalities are necessary, including: 

• Fractional vs Ablative lasers
  • Direct excision for ice pick acne
  • Dermabrasion
  • Microneedling

Usually a combination of these treatments gives the best results.  Treatment is customized on a case-by-case basis.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

Fraxel or Co2 laser or eMatrix Laser for Acne Scars

You are a great candidate for these lasers to help treat the scars.  If you do not want significant down time I would opt for eMatrix or Fraxel.  You could benefit also from injections of fillers first to raise the scars and help produce needed collagen.  I also inject Scultpra just for this reason and helps incredibly well for these acne scars.  Consult an expert in scars for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Laser and Filler for Acne Scarring

The best procedure for your type of acne scarring and for softening of fine lines is fractionated CO2 laser. I often do this laser in combination with subcision to break up any scar bands pulling the skin down and Sculptra which can be injected or applied topically after laser resurfacing. Additionally, you may also benefit from a filler such as Juvederm or Restylane in some of your rolling acne scars to smooth out the surface. I recommend visiting a board certified dermatologist to best address these issues.

Luis Soro, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon