I'd like to ask for advice regarding the treatment/restoration of an old hypertrophic scar. (photo)

it has been caused by a boil under my breast (open wound) around 6 years ago. It is raised and I badly want to make it look normal via any procedure. I've had about 2 steroid injections on it, but no drastic change was made. I'd like to ask if there's any topical/ surgical/ laser method I can do to help minimize this so it would at least look and feel normal. It's s bit more brown than my actual skin tone. Thank you so much.

Scar therapy for your facial scar

Our office specializes in both breast scars and keloid scars. I would suggest Plato's Scar Serum, intralesional therapy, and lasers to help smooth out your scars. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Scar improvement

Scars continue to mature and improve over a year. At 6 years, your scar has plateaued in its natural improvement. Options include Microneedling, fractionated laser, and radiofrequency which make microscopic holes in the scar to stimulate your body to remodel and fill in the scar with new collagen. Finally, a surgical excision and possible tissue rearrangement can break up the line of the scar, make the scar thinner, and improve its appearance. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!
Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Hypertrophic Scar Reduction

HI EB. If you did not get good results with injections, then you have the wrong injector.  The injections are the right option for you, but several things can vary.

1.  The strength of the solution (this varies and your injector chooses it).
2.  The amount of product injection (this is a judgement call based on experience).
3.  The way the product is placed. The scar needs to blanch for the product to get where it needs to be.

Your scar is a perfect candidate for injections and we would highly recommend going down this path again with a different injector before doing something more dramatic like surgery.  

See an example of a keloid scar below that was flattened with Kenalog injections. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Hypertrophic Scar/Keloid -- Pulsed Dye Laser/VBeam, 5fu/steroids, Fraxel/Viva, CO2, Aerolase

I would suggest an in person consultation with an expert for evaluation. Keloids and hypertrophic scarring should be treated in a combination approach with lasers along with steroid/5fu injections. Best, Dr. Emer.