How Long After Breast Augmentation Can I Wear a Push-up Bra?

Almost 6 weeks ago I had breast augementation. 400cc textured, round, mentor silicone implants (high profile) were placed under the muscle. I naturally have wide breasts. When can I safely wear a push up bra to enhance cleavage? I understand that I would not wear it all the time. Does my picture look as though they are abnormally far apart?

Breasts look normal

Your breasts look normal for your body.

It depends on where your incision placement is. Your incisions will get inflamed if you wear a bra with underwire while they heal. You should wait until your incisions are fully healed before you wear a bra with underwire. However, you should ask your surgeon first.

When can I wear a push up bra after breast augmentation?

In general, I recommend new bra shopping (and unlimited bra style) after 6-8 weeks. This usually allows the implants to settle enough and swelling to resolve in order to allow accurate sizing for new bras. At this time, you are free to wear any type of bra you like. Recommendations vary by surgeon so I recommend checking with yours.

Good luck!

Bryan Correa, MD

Follow your surgeon’s recommendation

Like many post-op instructions following breast augmentation, different surgeons have different opinions about how long exactly is the best time to wait until wearing a push-up bra after getting breast implants. Most will advise waiting between a month and 6 weeks before wearing any underwire bra, and others advise waiting a couple months or more. The reasons for this include the extra pressure an underwire bra puts on or very near to the incision (when placed in the inframammary fold), as well as encouraging the implants upward when they’re still in the process of settling. Best to check with your surgeon and follow his or her specific recommendations.

Wait a month for a bra

I prefer that the patients not wear a bra for a month after surgery.  This allows the implants to settle. If you do put on a bra at 6 weeks and it hurts, it is too tight and you must wait until you no longer have pain to wear that bra.

At Least Two Months After Breast Augmentation For Pushup Bra

I recommend waiting until about 2 months after your surgery to start wearing underwire bras and pushup bras, however three to four months would be better. Underwire bras in particular can cause unnecessary complications like irritation and displacement.

How Long After Breast Augmentation can I Wear a Push-Up Bra?

Most women can safely wear an underwire push-up bra 6-8 weeks after breast augmentation. This time is necessary to allow the implants to settle into position and for the incision to heal adequately. 

Stanley Castor, MD

Push Up Bra after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I typically ask that my patients wear a light weight compression sports bra for the first four weeks following a breast augmentation procedure.  Once my patients are at least four weeks out from surgery, they can transition into a bra of their choosing.  With that said, I recommend that patients avoid underwire bra's for the first 6 weeks because the underwire can often be irritating and put pressure on the sensitive incisions.  

I would recommend following up with your operating surgeon to discuss your concerns especially with respect to the distance between your breasts.  In the absence of pre-operative photos it is difficult to determine whether this is your natural anatomy because some patients just have wide set breasts to begin with.  All the best!  

Wearing a push up bra post augmentation

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle.  Most doctors would recommend their patients to wear push up bras or go bra shopping after 6-8 weeks. It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and ask for his or her advise. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Underwire bra and the inter-mammary gap

I usually have patients wait 6 weeks to wear a push up bra with underwire.  Your breasts will likely still change but look reasonable without being able to see your preop pictures.  There may be some angulation or sloping of your chest so that if  the "hills" the "houses" are built on are angled, it may give the illusion of space between the "houses" or breasts.  A bra can improve that.  Good luck! 

Push Up Bra After Surgery

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The question  regarding the use of bras is surprisingly common on this website;  there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.   For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place.  This surgical bra,  although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.   Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.