How Long After Breast Augmentation Can I Wear a Push-up Bra?

Almost 6 weeks ago I had breast augementation. 400cc textured, round, mentor silicone implants (high profile) were placed under the muscle. I naturally have wide breasts. When can I safely wear a push up bra to enhance cleavage? I understand that I would not wear it all the time. Does my picture look as though they are abnormally far apart?

Cleavage and push-up bras after breast augmentation

It is difficult to tell given the limited view of your picture.

At 6 weeks post-op, I inform all my patients they can be formally fitted for new well fitted bras. This does not include wearing push-up bras. Regular use of push-up bras can result in a loss of side-boob and abnormally positioned implants (implants shifted too close to the midline). This is because the implant pocket on the outer aspect can close up and "tighten". This problem may require further surgery to release the outer pocket and re-position the implant.

So to answer your question, only on the very odd occasion/outfit should you wear a push-up bra - otherwise don't wear them. Consider this a general rule for at least 6 months.

Also, a few factors can affect the potential cleavage achievable after augmentation. These include:

- choosing the appropriate diameter implant
- the implant profile
- the shape of your chest wall - yours appears somewhat barrel shaped? This makes a deep cleavage more difficult to achieve
- ensuring the implant pocket is created appropriate to the position of your ideal breast footprint and nipple position. Your implant seems somewhat laterally placed with your nipples off-centre and towards the midline. 
- the quality of your skin and tissues along the cleavage area - is it tight and tethered to the chest bone/sternum or is it loose and mobile?
- the quality of your chest muscle/pectoralis muscle (relevant for all under the muscle implant placements).

Basically, even if the surgeon has done everything technically perfect, it is not always possible to achieve a tight deep cleavage.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breasts look normal

Your breasts look normal for your body.

It depends on where your incision placement is. Your incisions will get inflamed if you wear a bra with underwire while they heal. You should wait until your incisions are fully healed before you wear a bra with underwire. However, you should ask your surgeon first.

Ronald Levine, MD

At Least Two Months After Breast Augmentation For Pushup Bra

I recommend waiting until about 2 months after your surgery to start wearing underwire bras and pushup bras, however three to four months would be better. Underwire bras in particular can cause unnecessary complications like irritation and displacement.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Push Up Bra after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I typically ask that my patients wear a light weight compression sports bra for the first four weeks following a breast augmentation procedure.  Once my patients are at least four weeks out from surgery, they can transition into a bra of their choosing.  With that said, I recommend that patients avoid underwire bra's for the first 6 weeks because the underwire can often be irritating and put pressure on the sensitive incisions.  

I would recommend following up with your operating surgeon to discuss your concerns especially with respect to the distance between your breasts.  In the absence of pre-operative photos it is difficult to determine whether this is your natural anatomy because some patients just have wide set breasts to begin with.  All the best!  

Stephen T. Greenberg, MD
Woodbury Plastic Surgeon

When can I wear a push up bra after breast augmentation?

In general, I recommend new bra shopping (and unlimited bra style) after 6-8 weeks. This usually allows the implants to settle enough and swelling to resolve in order to allow accurate sizing for new bras. At this time, you are free to wear any type of bra you like. Recommendations vary by surgeon so I recommend checking with yours.

Good luck!

Bryan Correa, MD

Follow your surgeon’s recommendation

Like many post-op instructions following breast augmentation, different surgeons have different opinions about how long exactly is the best time to wait until wearing a push-up bra after getting breast implants. Most will advise waiting between a month and 6 weeks before wearing any underwire bra, and others advise waiting a couple months or more. The reasons for this include the extra pressure an underwire bra puts on or very near to the incision (when placed in the inframammary fold), as well as encouraging the implants upward when they’re still in the process of settling. Best to check with your surgeon and follow his or her specific recommendations.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Wait a month for a bra

I prefer that the patients not wear a bra for a month after surgery.  This allows the implants to settle. If you do put on a bra at 6 weeks and it hurts, it is too tight and you must wait until you no longer have pain to wear that bra.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

WHEN can begin to wear Push-Up Bra after Breast Augmentation

As with everything involving Medicine and Surgery, what we do involves some factual science and a lot of habit ("I always ...") as well as unsubstantiated opinion. While some surgeons are more questioning and introspective than others- all surgeons, by their very nature, are opinionated (Best demonstrated by the surgical adage that they may be wrong but rarely in doubt).

Push up bras place a higher pressure along the inferior border of the breast and raise the implants bringing about a higher and central position which is the opposite direction of gravity. In certain cases of Breast REDUCTION (those using an inferior blood supply (IE Pedicle) such pressure may compromise the blood supply to the nipple. In Breast Augmentation this is NOT a consideration. However, when looking at the breasts, we want to make sure that the lower pole of the breast is rounded and that the implants are located directly behind the nipples - NOT higher. Putting the patient in such a bra will stop the maturation of the surgical result and may keep the breasts implants abnormally high by allowing scarring in the lower pocket.

There is nothing magical about WHEN (4, 6, 8 or whatever weeks after surgery) a push up bra can be worn. That is the fetish / habit part of surgical thinking I was referring to. More importantly is to look at the breasts and ask yourself - have you achieved THE LOOK you desired?

When looking at your breasts, you have a straight line from the nipples to the breast hold and increased upper pole fullness. The breasts would look a LOT nicer if you allowed the implants to stretch the lower poles a bit more and get that attractive curve BEFORE splinting it all with a push up bra.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Yes Push-Up Bra is Fine, Wide Cleavage Looks OK

Thank you for your question. You're six weeks out, so unless your surgeon has told you otherwise, I would say that it is fine for you to wear a push-up bra.

Regarding your cleavage, it looks like you have somewhat wide cleavage to start. Breast augmentation, especially when submuscular, is limited in the degree that it can narrow wide cleavage. 

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

How Long After Breast Augmentation can I Wear a Push-Up Bra?

Most women can safely wear an underwire push-up bra 6-8 weeks after breast augmentation. This time is necessary to allow the implants to settle into position and for the incision to heal adequately. 

Stanley Castor, MD