Do my acne scars look very unattractive? (Photo)

Are they ugly? What caused this? How can I stop getting acne? and how do i get rid of (not improve) i want to completely get rid of all acne and acne scars.

If your acne is very active, this needs to be controlled before treating the acne scars. For the acne scarring, I recommend a combination of a modified TCA peel and CO2 fraxel laser.  This procedures reduces the scars better than other techniques I have tried. 

Acne scars

Acne scars are treated differently depending on their appearance and structure. Some scars are nodular due to excess scar build up. Sometimes there is no actual scar at all, but just a dark spot from inflammation. These spots usually improve on their own if you protect them and keep them out of the sun. In the meantime, to control the inflammation and acne breakouts, topical retin-a cream with intermittent salicylic acid peels can dramatically improve your skin tone and frequency of breakouts. Once the acne is controlled and you continue to do have remaining scars due to permanent dermal injury from acne, a variety of treatments can be performed to remodel the scar from energy-based lasers and radiofrequency devices to mechanical disruption of the scar with microneedling. Deep wide scars can be released and filled in with subcision and fillers and ice-pick (thin, deep) scars are best treated by excising them completely. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD

Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

​Getting rid of acne and elevated acne scars.

Getting rid of acne and elevated acne scars. The question whether they're ugly or not is really subjective I do see that you have elevated scars and possibly moles in that area. You can remove or improve those scars and can also treat your active acne. The active acne can be improved through oral and topical treatments including chemical peels which we have a program for. These cars can be treated with our 5-7 step process that treats all types of acne scars in about 2 hours.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scar improvement

This can only be improved and not removed. I use Infini for this. It takes a few treatments. Other therapies which improve this are: laser resurfacing, subcision, Bellafill.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Treatments to remove acne scarring--lasers, microneedling/prp, fillers

I suggest you get a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist who can give you a plan for both acne and scarring.. There are many combination of treatments that can be used such as fractional lasers, microneedling/PRP, fillers, and vbeam/pulsed dye laser to improve texture, tone and appearance.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne + scarring

Hello there and thank you for your question. I am very sorry that you are suffering from acne. I can understand how distressing it can be! It looks like you are suffering from active inflammatory and cystic lesions. Before pursuing treatment for the scarring, it is imperative that you seek professional help as soon as you can (efore more scars develop) from a board certified dermatologist to get your acne under control. From the looks of it, you may be a good candidate for Accutane (isotretinoin).

Sophia V. Mai, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist