How to Treat This Old Indented Scar from flap hair transplant? (photos)

I had an unsuccessful hair transplant flap more than 25 years ago that left me with an indented and discolored scar across my forehead. Very little hair grew (in wrong direction) no hair on scar, been wearing hairpiece to cover. Is there a way to resurface and smoothen the scar? Thank you for your help.

Treatments to improve your scar

I would use a combination of FUE, fat grafting, subcision, fillers, and fractional laser to improve your hair transplant scar.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Subcision with Fillers / Microneedling and PRP / Lasers Can Treat Scars

A deep scar like that may require a combination treatment of subcision to lift the scar and fillers to fill in the depression.  Sometimes microneedling/PRP and lasers help improve the texture/quality of the scar.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scalp scar

Thank you for your photos. Generally speaking, depressed scars can be treated mechanically with microneedling or released and "filled" with a filler or grafting. MIcroneedling breaks up scar tissue and allows the body to regenerate collagen overtime with multiple treatments. Fillers can be done without surgery but are temporary and require multiple treatments indefinitely. In this case, I would recommend subcision with fat grafting to help release the scar tissue and restore the quality and surface of the skin. This can create long-lasting permanent results. It is best to have an in-office examination to determine the best treatment plan. Hope this helps!
Johnson C. Lee MDPlastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician