Is there any hope for these acne scars? (Photos)

I have boxcar and icepick scars all over my cheeks, some smaller than others. I'm super insecure about them. Is there any hope for me to get of them? What surgery methods would be the best to get rid of them? And for now is there anything I can do at home to lessen the appearance of them? Thank you.

Acne scars

Thank you for your question. I think you should contact a specialist in dermatology to discuss combining some procedures to treat your scarring, such as laser, fillers, micro needling, etc. I wish you the best. Dr. Heffernan

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

The Acne Scar Saviors--Acne Scars Treatment: Lasers, Fillers, Microneedling/PRP, TCA Cross

A combination approach would be best. I recommend lasers, microneedling/prp, TCA cross, punch excision, and fillers. I recommend seeing an expert in acne scarring for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Is there any hope for these acne scars? (

Thank you for the pctures and question. And to answer your question, yes, there is definitely hope for your acne scars. I think once you get on a good skin care program and get the acne controlled then you have several options. You would benefit from excision of the larger acne scars and then either do a series of Fraxel Treatments or MicroNeedling treatments. MicroNeedling has less downtime and can be done on all skin types. You should definitely use a good skin care daily and a good makeup. Be sure to research and find a Plastic Surgeon that has experience with treating acne scarring. Good Luck! 

Bruce K. Smith, MD

Microneedling

You may want to try microneedling for these acne scars.  In our practice we have seen great results for people with moderate to severe acne scarring after multiple microneedling treatments.  There is also an option to try a CO2 laser to resurface the skin.  Make sure you pick a physician who is board certified and has experience in treating acne.

Best of Luck.

Farhan Taghizadeh, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving acne scars

The best outcomes I have had are using the Infini. After 3 treatments, if there still is depressed scarring, Bellafill can be used to lift these areas.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne scar

Hi thanks to share your concern.As now you have got active acne breakouts a course of oral as well as topical antibiotic is needed to clear of the lesions.once it is well subsided  topical retinoids can be started with a good exfoliator face wash.Once your skin is primed a few sessions of microneedling will produce marked improvement  in scars to fade over a period of time with collagen induction..if you are well trained you can do dermaroller face at home But it should be done in a sterile manner. strict use of sunscreen is a must during treatment.please do consult a board certified dermatologist and get it treated.good luck.

Excision, Laser, Subcision and Fat Grafts / Fillers

You have many treatment choices.They work better in combination than individually. These deep scars need to be treated at two levels - one, at the skin; and second, below the skin. Deep scars are best excised (by punch or surgery) and superficial scars resurfaced with lasers. Results are better with ablative lasers but downtime and chances of complications are more. If that is scary, you may settle for fractional lasers. Underneath the skin, fibrous tissues tether to the scars and need to be divided by subcision. To prevent recurrence of tethering, fillers or fat are injected underneath. I personally prefer fat grafting, which has many unique advantages including suppleness and nourishment of overlying skin. Please see a doctor nearby, understand your choices clearly; and then decide what would work best for you. Thank you for your question and wish you the very best!

Srinjoy Saha, MD, MRCS
India Plastic Surgeon