Best Way to Heal an Indented, Red, Acne Scar/cut?

I had a cyst on my face below my cheek, near my nose that I poked with a small needle to open up and then squeezed the puss out of. It has been 3 weeks and there is still a red, slightly indented mark on my face. I would like to know how to treat this to make it go away as soon as possible, as it is very embarrassing.

Doctor Answers 3

How to Heal Red, Indented Acne Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In the future, avoid popping or draining cysts at home.  Most dermatologists will see you for a last minute appointment to treat the cyst using proper technique, which greatly decreases your risk of ending up with an unsightly scar.  As for treatment of the red indented acne scar, there are a few things that I would recommend.  It is important to use proper skin care, which may include the use of a retinoid (ask your dermatologist if this is appropriate for you) to stimulate skin cell turnover.  Additionally, Fractional CO2 lasers can be used to treat only the tiny localized area of scarring.  Using this method, you will have very little downtime, but will see improvement of the indentation quickly.  If only the redness bothers you, vascular lasers (such as the KTP laser or VBeam) can be used to get rid of the tiny superficial blood vessels that contribute to the appearance of redness on the skin.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


The options you have for your acne scars are Laser treatment, as Profractional laser or even a mini face lift to stretch out the skin and get rid of the scars. Fillers are not long lasting results. You should look into laser. Good luck


Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best treatment depends on the type of cyst you have.  A false cyst (as in acne) can be treated with an injection.  A true cyst would need to be surgically removed.  I'd suggest you see a board certified dermatologist for an assessment and recommendation.  I hope this helps.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.