Would a Chemical Peel Help "Haggard" Look?

I am starting to feel like my face is getting a little "haggard" looking... some light brown spots, etc. By looking at my picture what can I do to reverse this before it gets any worse. I am 28 year old and wear SPF 25 everyday but I had many years of tanning and I smoked for 5 years when I was a teen and I think it is finally catching up. Right now I just go for monthly facials but I want something to reverse this. Help please! :(

Doctor Answers 5

Chemical Peel Is An Option

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Alpha and beta hydroxyacid chemical peels erase fine lines and give the skin a smoother appearance within 1 to 3 treatments.The alpha hydroxyacid peel would be best for your skin type, as it is generally used on thickened and sundamaged skin where breakouts are less a problem. Both alpha and beta hydroxyacids even out pigmentation irregularities. I believe this would be a viable option for you, but do consult with a trained esthetician in your area first. 

Chemical Peels are a Good Choice but...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Often I see patients that approach skin rejuvenation like an a la carte menu at a restaurant.  They try a creme that they bought because it was advertised by a celebrity on TV and they have a facial because their neighbor had one and swears they looks 10 years younger.  This is the best way to spend a lot of money and get little in return. 

Your best bet is to find a skin care professional that will help you develop a long term plan to keep you looking great.  We often think of the quality of a professional based upon their technical skill, but sometimes the most valuable thing they offer is their advice.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will chemical Peel help???

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I see many patients with this issue. First of all, you should congratulate yourself for stop smoking. It substantially reduces the risk for further damage and wrinkles. Facials can give you a fresh and nourished look. However, you will need much aggressive therapy to minimize the brown spots and improve overall tone of your skin. I would probably recommend seeking a dermatologist’s help by starting on retinoid and intermediate microdermabrasion or beta peels. The nd-Yag laser-(Medlite), Ruby laser, or Alexandrite laser can all remove brown spots in usually one treatment. These procedures will have a tendency to rejuvenate the skin and low to moderate pigmentation & wrinkles.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

You might also like...

Chemical peels are one of the most effective ways to rejuvenate aging and sun damaged skin.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical peels are one of the most effective ways to rejuvenate aging and sun damaged skin. Yet compared to many other procedures, peeling is far less expensive. Chemical peeling can be performed at a variety of levels and should be customized to each patient. The smart person will consult with a Dermatologist who has extensive training and experience in chemical peeling.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peeling is an option

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

First, you need a full protocol that adds antioxidants to your sunscreen, and perhaps a retinoid and bleaching agent at night. Light peels, like Theraplex, improve both pigment and pores and even improves acne, so it is an option. So is SilkPeel or other microdermabrasion. Even IPL has place here as possible treatment. Work with your dermatologist to determine which option best for you. Good luck.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.