Best Way to Get Rid of Smoker Lines on Upper Lip?

Am not really a big smoker, just socially on weekends at most. That has not stoped smoker lines from showing on upper lips area. What can I do to repair besides stop smoking? Botox perhaps?

Filler, Botox

Fillers are the single best treatment for this problem. I like the underutilized Cosmoderm since I can go very superficially and not worry about the blue bleb that the hyaluronic acid fillers can create. There are a few tricks her that the experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon can utilize. Run the filler along the vermilion border. Just a touch to prevent trout pout look. Go, not only up the line but also perpendicular to it. Be sparing,using microdroplets.

A bit of Botox in two injection sites just above the lip margin also helps.

Finally, do not drink with a straw. Also notice whether you might be drinking too much from water bottles. This causes you to purse your lips. Many of my patients, who complain about smokers lines, do not smoke at all. However, they nod in the affirmative when I ask them whether they drink from the ubiquitous water or soda (tonic for my Brockton area homeboys) bottle. To remedy this problem, drink from a wide mouthed bottle or pure your drink into a glass.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Smoker Lines Treatment

Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero are all appropriate fillers for adding volume to the lips. The smoker/barcode lines can be treated with fillers, laser resurfacing, and even botox. When using fillers for this fine lines, Belotero is one of the best since it can be placed very superficially without concern of causing lumps/bumps.  

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Combination approach to smokr lines work best!!

Smoker's lines around the lips are often a result of both direct damage to the skin from the smoke, causing vertical lines, and volume loss with aging.

I advocate a combination approach to improve the lips without ending up looking like a duck. I believe that filler material can be used to revolumize the lips and then the vertical lines can be treated by dermabrasion or laser resurfacing to "sand down" the wrinkles. I have used this combination of methods successfully many times.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel re:pair for smokers lip lines gives long lasting results. Update: try Belotero too

I use Fraxel re:pair for correcting upper lip lines.

If done as an isolated procedure, it can be done in less than 5 minutes with minimal discomfort, and no need for oral sedation or pain medication.

Sometimes, 2 treatments might be needed, but I have had good results with just one aggressive treatment.

Results should last about 5 years. You will have redness up to 2 months.

This is a very cost effective, and in my opinion, better-looking result, particularly for the deep lines.

I have recently found that Belotero works fairly well for correcting these smokers lines.  I mix with lidocaine on use topical too.  I find that most people will bruise, but I use the VBeam to help the buising resolve faster.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Best Way to Treat Smoker's Lines

Smoker's lines are not actually caused by smoking. They represent attachments between the skin and muscle, and loss of fat (from weight loss or age) and decreasing skin thickness (from sun exposure or smoking) make them more visible.

Treatment includes a combination of approaches, including filler, neuromuscular toxins, and resurfacing. Fillers, like hyaluronic acids or fat, can replace lost volume, but for deep wrinkles, using a filler alone can lead to "duck lips".

Neuromuscular toxins, like Botox or Dysport, can minimize muscle motion, but they should be used with caution since too much can cause not only an unnatural appearance but also problems with drinking and speaking properly.

Finally, resurfacing with procedures like peels and laser can also improve the appearance. More intense treatments (deeper peels, dermabrasion, and ablative lasers) work best, but they also have the longest downtime and highest risk of pigmentation problems, especially for darker skin types.

A board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist can guide to to the best treatment for you since it is very individual.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Smoker Lines on Upper Lip

Dermal fillers such as juvederm and laser resurfacing can either be used in combination or in isolation to address the smokers lines. Consult with  3 - 4 experienced and skilled board certified plastic surgeons who can tailor a treatment plan to fit you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox or Dysport can be used in the upper lip for Smokers Lines

Dysport or Botox can be used on the upper lip, and is a wondeful way to help in softening the wrinkles in that area. Unfortunately our collagen becomes broken down the older be get and the more we expose ourselves to free radicals such as pollution and smoking, perhaps a combination of Dermal filler and Botox/Dysport would be favorable, but it is hard to say without seeing your actual face. Visit with creditable doctors in your area for consultations to find the best fit for you.

Good Luck.

Sofia Rubbani, MD
Tucson Ophthalmologist

Upper Lip Smoker Lines Treatment

Besides smoking cessation; dermal fillers, Botox and/or laser resurfacing procedures would be possible treatment options to this area.  I would recommend assessing the upper lip volume initially to see if it requires filling which might soften up the smoker lines.  I like using microdroplets of Juvederm Volbella in this area.  Hope this information helps.

Treatment for smoker's lines

Often a combination of injections and resurfacing can reduce the lines around the mouth caused by smoking. The judicious use of Botox in this area can help reduce wrinkles around the mouth. Then fillers and resurfacing with dermabrasion can help soften the lines.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Skin Resurfacing

Hello and thank for your question.  Lines around the lips are a very common problem as we age.  Smoking cigarettes is detrimental not only because you are helping the lines form as your purse your lips, but also because cigarette smoking damages the skin to your entire face.  My first recommendation would be to stop smoking.  To attack the specific wrinkles, I usually shy away from Botox.  Using a neurotoxin helps eliminate the wrinkles from worsening and will soften the appearance of existing wrinkles; however, injecting this medicine into the lips can have detrimental effects on the look and feel of your mouth.  It can sometimes effect the appearance of your smile, and your ability to drink out of a straw may be altered.  Instead, I like to use a non-ablative, fractional laser (ICON 1540) to attack these wrinkles.  Treatments last about 15 minutes, recovery is quick (2-3 days), and it doesn't alter the movements of your lips or smile.  Depending on the degree/severity of wrinkling around your mouth, you will likely require 3-6 separate treatments.  This is due to the non-ablative laser, as opposed to the ablative (CO2) lasers which will give you 2-4 weeks of downtime but only require one treatment.  Using small amounts of filler, such as hyaluronic acid, can also be used with laser treatments to help reduce the appearance of these lines.  I would not recommend doing both at the same time; I usually inject the filler, Juvederm, and perform the laser treatment one week later.  Good luck and thanks for your question.

Ryan Marshall, DO
Missoula Plastic Surgeon