How long after a bilateral mastectomy will there be pain?

I am almost 3 months post op and I can no longer bear the pain. There is no way I can consider reconstruction. I regret ever having the mammogram that found the cancer.

Pain after reconstruction.

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you still have pain following mastectomy.  I have had patients of mine that have had similar issues and I have had to perform their procedure to place their implants over the muscle which then can have less pain. Now a days we are able to do this given the newer fifth generation implants that we have available. These implants with addition of fat grafting and alloderm make it possible for implants to be placed over the muscle. Also injection of Botox on your muscle can be very helpful.   Don't give up as there are options for you.  Vitamins and medications can also help with nerve pain so please discuss this with your surgeon.  Best of luck

Breast reconstruction and pain

I appreciate your question and am sorry.

Surgery can be painful but it does get better with time.
Removing cancer is necessary.
Give your self a year and then see how you feel about the reconstruction.

The best way to assess and give true advice would an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz