I am wondering if I have a serious skin condition on my scalp? (photo)

I have had this for several months now and it seems to be getting worse over time. Itchy red from scratching and picking at it. Big flakes come off when digging at it also with lots of hair. I've been using certain dandruff shampoos but doesn't seem to help much.

Doctor Answers 2

Scales on Scalp

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have a condition called pityriasis amiantacea and is really easy to treat, seek a board certified dermatologist for help.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Scalp flakes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It appears you have a condition called "pityriasis amiantacea" 

You'll want see a dermatologist for an "up close" examination to confim the diagnosis. There are a few other very uncommon possibilities as well. In addition some patients with this condition have underlying psoriasis, eczema, fungal infections- another good reason to see a dermatologist. 

If you truly have "pityriasis amiantacea" you'll want to get on the proper treatment.  This is not a serious condition but hair loss can occur in this condition because hair comes out with the flakes. 

Please see a dermatologist to guide you with the right treatment. 

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.