How do I get rid of the acne on my forehead? (photo)

I have had tiny bumps on my forehead for about three months now. I have been using salicylic acid face wash, spot treatment and moisturizer, along with witch hazel toner, twice a day. Nothing helps! I also wear Bare Minerals make up.

Facial Acne Treatments -- Treat, Correct and Prevent Scarring

While acne occurs mostly in adolescents and young adults, it is also
recognized in 52% of adults as one of the most common skin conditions in the
US.  Although the exact cause is often a mystery, a combination of multiple
triggers play a role in acne outbreaks.

Excess oil, clogged pores, bacteria and inflammation are key factors in
causing acne as well as hormonal imbalances that generate excess sebum
production. The degree of inflammation determines the visible signs - varying
in stages of blackheads, whiteheads (comedones), pustules or cysts.  The
more the inflammation, as with nodules and cysts, the greater the likelihood of
acne scarring and skin discolorations. We find that a combination of topical products ( prescriptive strength) --including Retin-A for advancing cellular turnover and minimizing discolorations, is key to almost all treatment plans for acne. If the outbreaks are cystic, they may require intra-lesional injections or a consideration of Accutane ( oral tretinoin) ---to reduce the sebum production. Laser IPL treatments specifically can target the levels that the acne bacteria smolders and correct the discolorations as well. Seek a health care provider that is not only skilled in acne skin care, but passionate about treating it as well!

San Juan Capistrano Physician

Acne on the forehead

Acne on the forehead indicates classic teenage acne, whereas acne on the chin and jawline indicates hormonal acne seen mostly in young women. Classic teenage acne responds well to daily use of clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide. Many topical creams combine these two medications and prescription Onexton can now deliver higher dosages without drying your skin or causing any peeling. Also, make sure to wash your face after sweating, or keep glycolic-salicyclic pads in your gym bag to wipe off your forehead. Furthermore, the deep bumps-called milia-will need to be removed by an esthetician at your dermatologist office.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon