I have a gash on my forehead: No stitches. (photo)

I have a gash on my forehead. Went to an after hour clinic and the doctor told me no stitches because it would leave more of a scar. Is this accurate?

Stitching

Hi. No I disagree with this advice. It is not uncommon to just put deep sutures but not to place surface sutures but only when the tension is relieved by the placement of deep sutures. Carefully placed surface sutures can lead to a better more cosmetically acceptable scar. You should seek to see a plastic surgeon or dermatologic surgeon for this.

London Dermatologist

No stitches placed on forehead laceration

Placing stitches on a laceration would not normally leave more of a scar, and in many instances can improve the healing.  I would see a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to be evaluated and see if you can be treated.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to stitch a cut

Thank you for your question. I wholeheartedly disagree. You have what appears to be a full thickness (through the skin) wound on your forehead, that would be amenable to a couple of sutures to help ease the tension and to bring about the wound edges to better ensure that your scar in the long run will be minimized. Typically, it is best to get facial wounds sewn within 12 hours - however, if you can, I would consult a plastic surgeon in your area and have this closed by him or her. You will always have a scar; however, the techniques utilized by Plastic Surgeons help to minimize a scar's appearance - and they typically have a plethora of ways to treat and improve a scar. If you are unable to see a Plastic Surgeon at this time, you can wait for the wound to heal and then see about a scar revision in the near future (usually within 6 - 9 months). If you are unable to get to a Plastic Surgeon, I would keep the area slathered in bacitracin 2-3 times a day for the next five days, and covered. It will scab; leave the scab alone and let it naturally fall off. Best of luck! 

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Smithtown Plastic Surgeon

I have a gash on my forehead: No stitches.

It may be better to see a plastic surgeon as soon as possible as this can still be treated to minimize a scar. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS