What can I do for indented acne scars?

I had bad acne when I was a teen. I'm in my 20s now and it's gotten a lot better (yay!) but I have leftover scars. Not dark spots. Like actual scars. It looks like a have holes in my skin. I literally have no idea what to do about it.

Filler vs other treatments for indented acne scars.

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.

Dr Davin Lim.

Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist.

Brisbane, Australia.

Brisbane Dermatologist

Options for treatment of acne scarring

I am sorry to learn of your scarring.  Without photographs it is difficult to determine the exact nature of the scars.  In general, aggressive subcision, punch excision, dermal grafting, technology-based treatments, and injectable fillers can all play a role in the treatment of depressed acne scars.  It is extremely important to be treated by someone who has a great deal of experience and success treating acne scars and who can help you set your expectations realistically.  Best of luck

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

​Scars and holes in your skin. from acne.

Scars and holes in your skin. Yes you could do something for this there are ways to use the lasers in a special way to improve your holes. Alot of times with acne scars you have volume loss too. So sometimes acne scars requires treating multiple layers with multiple different techniques to really get good results.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scarring Treatment

HI, we have found success with combining BellaFill Injections along with a dermapen/laser or Vivace procedure for treating acne scars. This is the best combination to fill in and smooth out the scarring. Good luck! 

Stephen J. Ronan, MD, FACS

Here's what you can do for acne scar treatment: lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision

A combination approach would  be best. I treat acne scars with lasers, microneedling/PRP, subcision and fillers as needed. I recommend a formal consultation with an acne scarring expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Acne scar treatment

There are several treatments available for acne scars. It is hard to give exact recommendations but some of them are: Infini, Bellafill, TCA Cross, subcision, laser resurfacing. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD