I have holes in the skin of my face. What are they? (photo)

Ice Pick Scars

These are ice pick scars, usually secondary to acne which destroyed the deeper layer of the skin leading to a deep and narrow depression. Topical treatments just can't treat to the depth required. lasers are also ineffective with deep scars such as these. Punch excision with simple closure is often the best treatment as it levels out the skin, and eliminating the shadows which are so obvious. A tiny scar remains, but it is better than the ice picks.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

​Holes in my skin and what are they and how to treat them.

Holes in my skin and what are they and how to treat them. These are ice pick scars likely from some surface issue that you had including acne . The way to treat them is most likely through surface treatments. Surface problems require surface treatments and deeper problems like volume loss and tissue loss required deeper treatments. Acne is a multi-layered process so they are different techniques that treat different parts of those layers. We have a 5 to 7 step technique that treats all types of acne scars in about 2 hours

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scars in dark skin

Infini would be a good treatment for these scars. It would take 3 or more for improvement. Deeper scars can be filled with Bellafill. Subcision can be helpful too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

I have holes in the skin of my face. What are they?

Thank you for your question!

Base on your pictures you are a good candidate to do microdemabration that would be the best procedure for you... Good luck