I have Lupus SLE I keep gaining weight need help. (photo)

9 months ago I weighted 140lbs I do nothing no different I eat the same work at same job I'm always walking up three flights of stairs all day I'm on the go all day since November 2015 I gained 40lbs could it be water tention or what I tried it all and keep gaining please help me

Lupus can increase your weight in several ways

Some people with lupus gain weight because they are placed on steroids, others retain water if lupus is affecting their kidneys, others gain weight if lupus slows down their thyroid gland, and others gain weight like everyone else if they eat too much in relation to the calories they burn. Your doctor should be able to assess most of these, but the dietary side is all you.

Weight gain

You have a significcant weight gain over the last year. You should check with your doctor to make sure something is not wrong with your hormones, metabolism, etc. Are you on corticosteroids for the Lupus. These can cause significant weight gain.Losing weight is not easy for most people who are overweight. A lot depends on you and your   personality type, lifestyle, metabolism, and attitude. If you want to learn how to lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life, you should do a program that encompasses all these aspects. Three main aspects for losing weight are eating right, exercising adequately, and getting support regularly. A restricted diet is necessary, such as < 1000 cals/day. Limit carbs such as sweets, breads, pastas; make sure you eat enough protein, at least 50 gm/day; eat lots of vegetables and some low glycemic fruits; some nuts and oils, such as olive oil.  Exercise regularly, every day if you can, with good vigorous activities. See a diet counselor or physician at least every other week; if you have a support person, use them. For further information on my plan, The True Diet, go to my website (see link below). I also utilize methods to change your metabolism, to make sure hormones are optimized, to lower inflammation, and much more. It’s not just calories in should be less than calories out. Good Luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Change what you eat

What you are eating is keeping you there.  The best change is to dramatically increase the vegetables in your diet.  They have plenty of nutrients and not many calories.  A cup of broccoli has 30 calories. Good luck. 

Terry Simpson, MD, FACS
Scottsdale Bariatric Surgeon