What types of scarring do I have? What treatments are suitable for this type of scarring? (photos)

There are so many treatments available but I'm not sure what's best for my skin. I have had several microneedling treatments done with little improvement. What types of scars do I have and what treatments are available? I appreciate your time.

Acne scar treatment

Most people have a combination of all 3 types of acne scars. I start out with the Infini for all acne scar patients. If there are still deeper areas needing treatment, I will fill them with Bellafill. Other treatments include subcision, PRP, TCA cross.

Acne Scarring -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2/Erbium, VIVA, Intensif); Microneedling/PRP, Fillers (Bellafill); Subcision; Punch Excision

I suggest a formal consultation the types of scars you have need fillers, lasers, TCA cross ... a combination approach to get the best outcomes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne scars

You have a combination of different scars which will respond best to a combination of treatments, such as radio frequency and fractional laser. If you can tolerate some downtime, an ablative laser procedure would produce quicker results. Use of a product such as Sculptra, which can stimulate collagen production, can also help. You will need multiple treatments over a period of months to optimize your results.

Roxana Barad, MD
Pittsburgh Ophthalmologist

​Boxcar, rolling scar, ice pick scars volume depletion and acne scarring and microneedling that doesn't work

I too have had the same experience with micro-needling, it doesn't seem to help too much with acne scarring. The scars from Acne are likely the most severe type of scarring other than major burns that completely destroy your skin. The way to treat your particular scars requires many different approaches. Additionally the older methods would not really help. And even if you apply some of these older treatments and newer treatments, multiple treatments may be required. Also if they're done in repeated treatments they won't have the same effect as if you combine them. The challenge is combining these approaches and doing it in a safe manner. You will need treatment from the top surface layer as well as deeper treatments in the deeper layers in the skin. We combine multiple treatments, specifically we combine 5-7 steps into one procedure that is done in about 2 hours. Looking at your scars in particular, I have a lot of experience with these types of scar and I know I can make a big difference for you.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scars

You have a combination of acne scars and will require a combination of fillers such as Resytlane and Bellafill for the deeper scars and lasers such as Fraxel for overall texture of the skin.  Microneedling cannot go deep enough for these types of scars.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green