What filler and/or treatment would be the most beneficial for my acne scarring? No lasers please. (photos)

I have acne scarring , primarily on the left side of my face. acne is no longer active. I would like to treat the scars. I am most concerned with the indentations the acne (+kenalog) caused - makeup can cover color imperfections but can't smooth my skin! I have had 3 sessions of dermapen done in the past, considering additional sessions but would like to fill the scars for a smoother surface. I do not want to utilize lasers. Thank You for your recommendation.

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

You need a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne scarring/pigmentation and does a combination of treatments including: surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars; fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars; Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone; lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Venus Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. There are many options but you want someone who can customize a regimen for your short and long term goals based on your individual situation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Consider subcision for atrophic scars on cheeks

In my hands I would likely recommend a subcision procedure to provide a permanent improvement in the scars.  This breaks up the scars underneath the skin and provides an immediate, visible elevation of the scars.  Fillers would likely help as well but they provide only a temporary fix whereas subcision gives permanent results.  Subcision is somewhat more invasive than fillers and would need to be performed by an expert.  You would first need an in person evaluation to make sure that this is the appropriate procedure for you.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Scars and Fillers and Lasers

A combination of lasers like eMatrix and Fraxel and Fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm will help these scars.  I also utilize a great deal of Sculptra for these type of scars which is a gradual process for increasing collagen in the area and takes time but has great results.

Fillers for acne scarring

Hello Katie773,

If you are only considering fillers for acne scarring then one of the more effective treatments is Sculptra.  It would not cause an immediate improvement but rather is designed to help stimulate new collagen growth.  If you are looking for a more immediate response then you have more options.  I personally like Juvederm but the Restylane line of products would also be an option. 

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon