What's a girl to do? Acne scars! What's really going to work?! PLEASE HELP I WANT MY SOCIAL LIFE BACK. (photos)

I've had acne for over 6 years now. Finally, it's started to clear up. Now I am left with boxcar and rolling scars covering both of my cheeks. After multiple mental breakdowns I am now ready to fix this and move on. Is this fixable? Fillers? Lasers? Tca cross? Is there any great doctors near me, or am I out of luck? I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Please please please assist me in finding a doctor that specializes in acne scars. I need to get my life back.

To find doctors in your local area, please click here. 

Acne Treatment Solutions

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with your skin. Living with acne scarring is not something you have to put up with thanks to the advancement of aesthetic lasers that are equipped to treat a wide variety of skin conditions. 

There are many options to treat acne scarring, so to achieve the best results for your specific case, consult an experienced specialist with a reputable practice. Lasers are a great way to resurface the skin and reduce scars, particularly the Erbium and CO2 lasers. The Erbium laser is a state-of-the-art laser that resurfaces the skin and reduce scars in under an hour. The results are almost instant, and only about 3-4 days of downtime are required. Another option is the CO2 laser. The CO2 laser penetrates the skin deeper than the Erbium; therefore, the results are a little better, but you would need about 7-10 days of downtime. Also, because this laser is more invasive, you do not need multiple treatments like the Erbium. 

At our clinic we often recommend a series of AFT (Advanced Fluorescence Technology) laser treatments for acne scarring as a starting point, it all depends on the patients current skin condition. AFT is an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) laser technology targets the surface of the skin where prior acne has made the surface uneven and improves the texture, tone, and appearance of skin with minimal downtime.

A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or a dermatologist would be the first step in treating your scars!

I would highly recommend a high quality medical grade skin care routine that contains ingredients that have been developed to treat acne on the face.

Watch the attached link for more info.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scarring

Your type of scarring would do best with a combination approach. I would begin with a fractional CO2 laser for resurfacing the skin followed by injections of hyaluronic acid filler for rolling scars and a few sessions of tca cross for the box car scars. It will take a little bit of persistence but this type of acne scarring is certainly capable of improvement. I recommend setting up a consultation with a board certified dermatologist with experience in acne scar revision. Best of luck!

Luis Soro, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

There is Hope!

Acne treatment requires a combination approach. Fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars. Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone. Lasers such as Co2 / erbium laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency treatments (Viva) to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. Don't let distance dissuade you, see an expert in acne scarring. Best, Dr. Emer

Acne scarring fix

This is a problem that Infini is good for. It will improve the problem after 3-4 treatments. After that, the deeper remaining scars can be filled with Bellafill. TCA Cross is for ice pick scarring. Subcision might be useful as well. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Deep Acne pock marks and scars

There are several ways to improve the appearance of your skin including, resurfacing treatments using lasers or chemical peels, dermapen microneedling and using fillers to touch up and "photoshop" the pock marks individually which has a more immediate gratification factor associated with it. 

If you have patience for a multi session treatment, using resurfacing techniques will have longer lasting results.

Tal Dagan, MD, FACS
New York Physician