I'm a 30 year old Indian female living in South Africa. My face is fair but I have stubborn acne marks that are not going away

To help get rid of stubborn acne marks on face

Stubborn acne marks

If you have dark discoloration patches on your face, it may be post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation or melisma. Even though you have "fair" skin, you likely have the potential for picking up color when exposed to the sun given your ethnicity. Be sure you are wearing a broad spectrum sunscreen daily and I would recommend you have an evaluation by your physician.

San Jose Physician

Acne marks

Thank you for your question. I cannot diagnose or suggest treatment options without photos or evaluating you in person. Treatment optionsĀ for acne scars depend on the type of scars you have such as hyperpigmentation (discoloration of the skin), or atrophic scars (rolling, boxcar, icepick scars). If the marks you are referring to are dark spots on the skin, then you most likely have post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. A variety of treatment options for hyperpigmentation include topical medications, chemical peels, laser treatments, etc. The right treatment for you depends on your skin type, expectations, patience, downtime, and cost. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to discuss treatment options that bestĀ suit your needs.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD