Follow up - What can be done for this type of acne scarring? (Photo)

I am skin type 4 and have had scarring on my right cheek for 15 years. When I was a teenager I had some subcision and TCA cross which helped. I have recently had 6 sessions of Palomar Icon treatment and seen some very small improvements in the overall skin texture but I am very self conscious about the large dents. I am now considering trying Infini, Deep FX and Dermarolling with PRP. Are these rolling/boxcar scars? Do I perhaps need further subcision? And what other treatments might help?

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

You need a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne scarring/pigmentation and does a combination of treatments including: surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars; fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars; Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone; lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Venus Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. There are many options but you want someone who can customize a regimen for your short and long term goals based on your individual situation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne Scarring and Skin type 4

eMatrix is definitely the best laser to treat this type of skin and scarring.  I have had great results with this procedure and have reduced the scars in cases just like yours.  Best, Dr. Green

Multiple treatment methods.

I do agree that eMatrix RF is good, especially for early scars. For matured scars other treatment options include Fractional CO2- Erbium laser, or even the newest in RF - Infini Skin Needling RF. This is the latest in RF treatments, and can penetrate up to 3.5 mm deep- where scars lie. 

I would start with a treatment as advised by your board plastics/ dermatologist, then progress based upon results. 

all the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist