Is it ok to go for tummy tuck with 27 BMI or I should lose another 10 pounds?

My BMI is 26.9 and I'm going to have my tummy tuck and breast reduction on 28th July 2016. I am trying hard to lose weight but this time I'm just stuck in 142 pounds. My ideal weight should be below 128 pounds . Is it ok to go for tummy tuck with 27 BMI or I should lose another 10 pounds in next two weeks ?

BMI not a factor

This is an issue you should discuss with your surgeon. Many surgeons would insist you lose the weight and be within a normal BMI range. For me, BMI is not a factor when considering the suitability of a patient for surgery because this method is fraught with problems. BMI disregards your unique body type (a weightlifter with little body fat would be considered overweight or even obese!). If you are at a stable weight and simply can’t lose anymore, then you may be considered for surgery pending an examination.

Weight Control Before and After Tummytuck

To achieve the best possible result after Tummytuck , try to lose as much weight as possible, and then maintain it before and after surgery. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about diet and exercise before plastic surgery. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

You're probably fine

I would think that more weight loss will not affect the ultimate result of your abdominoplasty. Preceding with your surgery should be fine.
Hope this helps
Leland Deane MD

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. There are no "averages" or magic numbers that I can help you with; every patient's case should be individualized.
Generally speaking, always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.
Also generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and (again) has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Perfectly fine

Hello and thanks for the inquiry. Your surgeon need you to be at a BMI of less than 30 for safe, effective surgery. Accordingly a BMI of 27 is fine. 

BMI below 30 before tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  I advise my patients to be at a BMI of 30 or under prior to having their procedure. It is best to be within 5-10 pounds of your ideal weight- at this weight, I am able to remove the most skin at once and isolate those hard to reach fatty pockets; not just the large areas.  This results in an overall smoother result and decreases the likelihood of having to do any revisions. I believe if you try to lose another 10 pounds in the next two weeks, it most likely won't make much of a difference. Best of luck to you!  You are going to love your results!

Fred Hackney, MD

Thank you for your excellent question.  At a BMI of 27 and assuming you are an otherwise good candidate for surgery you should be fine to undergo your tummy tuck and breast reduction.  Hope this helps.

Your BMI is at an acceptable level. I don't subscribe to the idea of dieting to a weight you won't maintain prior to having surgery as it is usually unrealistic to stay at that weight and it can affect your healing from surgery. Instead, I believe that you should be at a normal weight that you will be able to maintain when having the procedure done. It sounds like you fit this description so go ahead and have your procedure.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Your weight is within safe limits for surgery.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

BMI 27

Having a BMI of 27 meets most surgeons requirements to proceed with an elective surgery. It would not be healthy to try and purge 10 more pounds off in as little as 2 weeks. It is always best to be at a stable weight that you will be able to maintain post surgery.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon