Why does my stomach stick out after my tummy tuck? (photos)

I got my tummy tuck done last year in May, I was 5'3" 152 pounds now I am 145.lbs, I go to the gym regularly and my stomach still never gets completely flat. My question is, did my doctor leave too much skin on my stomach? Or did he not liposuction the area well enough. My stomach sticks out so much it looks like I'm pregnant. And this had been going on since right after the surgery. At first I thought it might be swelling but now it's been too long and I don't know what to do but I'm not happy.

Tummy tucks do not guarantee flat tummies

and if you were horrible from where you started, you have an excellent result.  Yes, you have a little pooch but female anatomy shows all women have a little roundness there compared to men.  If there is fat, you can ask your surgeon about liposuction to further flatten that area.  And if you had muscles plicated, that drags more skin in to the center that could contribute to the pooch.

Why does my stomach stick out after my tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question and photos. Unfortunately the photos are limited in exposure and angles, without preop photos. Based on this limited information, it seems like you had a mini tummy tuck with an umbilical float and this limited how much skin could be removed to give you a flat abdomen. Cannot address the muscle repair either, but seems to be limited to the lower abdomen. To improve your results, you will need a full tummy tuck with liposuction of your back, waist and hips to give definition of the flat poorly defined sides and back. Talk to your surgeon or seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in advanced body sculpting techniques. Good luck.

Tummy still sticks out after tummy tuck

You obviously have excess skin, and need that removed.  You do not mention whether or not you had a muscle tightening (plication), but it appears that you did not.  It is the muscle tightening that flattens your abdomen, not the skin resection. You need a revision with excess skin removal and muscle plication  Consult your Board Certified Plastic surgeon about this.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to tell from the angle of the photo about the reason for the excess skin. During a tummy tuck you are flexed up to remove as much excess skin as possible. The closure of the incision is done under a lot of tension and there is typically not any more excess skin that can be excised. Over time the skin stretches so that is why you have some slight redundnancy, especially if you flex forward. If you do not have any excess skin when you are standing then that is less of concern. I would contact your plastic surgeon so they can examine you and you can review your concerns with them.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Not happy with mini tummy tuck

You have too much skin and should have had a full tummy tuck with muscle plication instead of a mini tummy tuck. A consultation is necessary to provide you a definitive recommendation.

Arian Mowlavi, MD