What's the best treatment option for acne scars on Asian female? (Photo)

About a year ago, I developed moderate acne on one side of my face. After using tretinoin 0.05% for almost a year, most of the breakouts are under control. However, I'm left with marks that don't seem to go away. I'm continuing the tretinoin, and have just started Finacea a month ago, and use sunscreen everyday, but can't see any difference. What treatment options do I have?

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

First get rid of the acne itself.  Then, you need a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne scarring/pigmentation and does a combination of treatments including: surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars; fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars; Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone; lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Venus Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. There are many options but you want someone who can customize a regimen for your short and long term goals based on your individual situation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Pulse Dye Lasers for Red Acne Scars

Hi C.  Your case is very well suited for treatment with pulsed dye lasers.  These are vascular lasers that are used to get id of all things red.  Several treatments should do the trick as long as you do not continue to get active acne.  

To see examples of this type of scar and treatments with pulsed dye lasers, click on the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Acne Scars an Asian Skin

The redness of the scars can best be treated with the V-Beam laser and the scar itself with the eMatrix.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is a specialist in Asian skin.  Best, Dr. Green

Pulse Dye Laser

Vascular lasers such as pulse dye laser, or V BEAM can be effective in decreasing the redness. Expect some swelling and bruising for a few days after each treatment. 

You may need 2-3 sessions, spaced 3-5 weeks apart. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist