Acne scars. Which treatment do you suggest for my skin? (Photo)

Which treatment do you suggest for my skin? Last year i had microneedling for 6 times, my doctor said that microneedling is the best cure for me. But i didn't see any difference on my acne scars. Unfortunately i need another treatment.

Multiple treatments for best results.

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. In your case, a series of TCA CROSS then ablative erbium laser can make a big difference, see video below for similar case I did on ethnic skin type. 

For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.
Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne scars

The combination of fillers and laser treatments will give you better results than microneedling alone.  Always seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Ice pick and box car scars not responding to needling

I have not seen good results with needing some people say that it has given them some results although subtle. What you need is to treat the surface and it could require treating the deeper layers witha multi-layered approach. Laser resurfacing should be a part of this consideration and you might need subcision and volumizing to help. We have a 5 to 7 step approach that treats all types of acne scarring

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Laser Treatment for Textural Acne Scars

I would definitely suggest a combination of fillers and lasers such as eMatrix or Fraxel for your skin.  Microneedling can be effective but you may need to go deeper than the needle can effect.  Please consult an acne scar specialist.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne Scars – Combination of Treatments Needed

The best treatment for acne depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, overall health and most importantly, the type of acne present (inflammatory papules, pustules, comedones, cysts, scars). In order to give you an accurate treatment plan, a consultation is required to properly assess your skin. An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns.  When it comes to acne treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (medical grade skin care products specific for acne including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), topical antibacterials, topical retinoids, oral antibacterials, oral anti-androgens, oral retinoids (isotretinoin), chemical peels (light, medium, and deep peels), lasers (Cutera Excel-V laser, Nd:YAG spectra laser), and light based devices (blue/red light, IPL/BBL, PDT with metvix or levulan).  These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist  for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Subcision is a good start

Subcision is another alternative for your acne scars.
It can be combined with various fillers such as Juvederm for an enhanced result.