Tummy tuck: skin removal only? (Photo)

I lost 100lbs through diet & exercise. Only the skin on my lower tummy is very lose. I have a strong core and my muscles are very tight. I am looking to have a tummy tuck to remove the skin ONLY. I have no children. I only want to have the excess skin removed (hoping to reveal the muscles underneath) Is this possible? what are the possible disadvantages of only removing excess skin? Is this still considered a "tummy tuck" ? what are the downside of a "drainless surgery" with only skin removal?

Tummy Tuck

If you have not had children and have good core muscles, then a skin only tummy tuck would be appropriate.   Judging from your submitted pictures,  it appears that you have stretch marks that go above your belly button.  It may be that post operatively some of these stretch marks will remain.  The greatest amount of skin can be removed with repositioning your belly button.   With this elevation of tissue in order to remove the maximum amount of skin, you likely will need a drain post op for a few days.   Seek a board certified plastic surgeon who will carefully examine you pre operatively in order to best determine the extent of skin excision likely to give you the best result.  

Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Abdominoplasty

Dana,

Thanks for the question and the photos.

It appears that you are a very good candidate for an abdominoplasty.  You probably do not need muscle tightening as you have no children and your core is well developed.

Dr. T

Abdominoplasty

Dana,

Thanks for the question and the photos.

Dr. T

Tummy tuck

Yes, it does look like you need a full tummy tuck.  You might even need a lower body lift depending upon how your waist and back look.  Best to be seen in person.  

Tummy tuck

Skin removal only

Congratulations on the weight loss. You did amazingly well.  I think that skin resection alone will improve your appearance. You might benefit from muscle tightening as well but this could only be assessed during a consultation.  Removal of skin only is a panniculectomy.  

Skin removal only

What surgery is best for you?

from your photographs, it seems you would do very well with just the removal of skin. Your abdominal wall seems to be very tight. I don't think I would try to skimp on the length of the scar, but the more concerned about tightening the skin across the abdomen as much as possible. Plastic surgeons have different views on exactly what a tummy tuck is, but I prefer to refer to this as a lower abdominal skin excision when I discusse it with my patients.

What surgery is best for you?

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss.   Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Tummy tuck

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Tummy tuck: skin removal only?

Congratulations to you on your weight loss.  You would need to be examined by your plastic surgeon, but from the photos, it doesn't look like you have separation of the abdominal wall muscle, so you may very well be able to get away with having only the skin removed and tightened.  The advantage of this is much quicker recovery.  As long as the muscle is not separated, there is no disadvantage. It is still considered a mini tummy tuck.  With advanced techniques in tummy tuck, such as the Avelar technique I use for mini tummy tucks, there is much quicker recover and no need for surgical drains.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in performing tummy tucks for optimal results.  Best of luck to you.   

Tummy tuck: skin removal only?

Skin removal

You have excellent muscle tone and have done a great job losing excess weight. You do seem to have enough skin to remove with a tummy tuck, and fat removal is not necessary with the procedure. However, you may need a full tummy tuck since you have prominent laxity above your belly button. A mini tummy tuck would only tighten the skin below your belly button. 

The option to have a drain or drainless tummy tuck depends on the expertise of your surgeon. Sometimes, a drain is necessary if the risk of fluid accumulation is high.

Skin removal

Tummy tuck after weight loss

Tummy tucks are tailored to each individual patient's anatomy and desires.  

Massive weight loss patients may only have the skin and underlying fat addressed.  Muscle tightening is not always performed during abdominoplasty.

Drains help minimize seromas/ fluid collections postoperatively.  At times quilting sutures may be used instead of drains.  This is usually discussed at consultation.

Tummy tuck after weight loss

Tummy tuck: skin removal only?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your very significant weight loss. Yes, physical examination should allow for an accurate assessment of abdominal wall muscle laxity and the potential benefits of muscle plication.  Based on your history and photographs, you appear to be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery, most likely including the muscle plication component.

Generally speaking, the tummy tuck procedure typically involves plication of the abdominal wall muscle that have spread during pregnancy or weight gain/loss.  It is the very rare patient who after pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss does not benefit from some degree of abdominal wall muscle re approximation.

IN MY OPINION, omitting this part of the procedure for the vast majority of patients who present for consultation will possibly or likely leave them with continued abdominal wall laxity and, in my opinion, a less than optimal result. Make your decisions carefully…

You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you learn more.

Tummy tuck: skin removal only?