What was your recovery time after an otoplasty? How long did it take to heal from the ear surgery?
Otoplasty Recovery Time
Doctor Answers 31
There are various phases during the recovery process of a well executed otoplasty performed by a surgeon with expertise in ear reshaping:
- First 24 hours- Patient wears a mild compressive garment on the head. Patient ear appear larger and more swollen than ideal
- 24 to 72 hours- Patient wears headband over ears as much as possible. Majority of swelling begins to dissipate
- 72 hours to First Week- Some patients will be able to return to work depending on their hairstyle and comfort with swelling in ear and duties at work
- First Week to Second Week- Most patients feel comfortable in social situations with ears
- Three Months-Swelling Completely subsided
Ear Reshaping (Otoplasty) Recovery Time and Care
Otoplasty or ear reshaping is one of the most rewarding plastic surgery procedure for both the patient and the surgeon.
Below is my protocol that I have found to lead to good and predictable results:
- Typically we place a compressive bandage on the ear for 24 hours and patients are encouraged to wear a light head band (like ski band around their ears for one to two weeks.
- Typically the sutures are resorbable and do not need to be removed.
- Usually patient can do their activity of daily living. No heavy activities for few weeks.
- Patients can go back to work in a few days.
- Generally satisfactory healing and assessment of results at 3 months.
- The results are very obvious quickly after surgery once the dressing is removed.
Revisions are possible but rare.
Hope this is helpful.
Recovery from otoplasty
You might also like...
Recovery Time After Otoplasty
The results are quite life-changing for most patients. Post-operatively, here's what to expect:
- Typically a compressive bandage is placed at the completion of the surgery
- Then, a looser dressing is placed for another week.
- A headband is worn at night while sleeping for the next 4-6 weeks.
- light head band (like ski band around their ears for one to two weeks.
- No lifting or carrying anything more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks.
- No strenuous activity for 2 weeks.
- The ear must stay dry for one week.
- Results are very obvious once the dressing is removed, but some swelling can last for 6 weeks or more.
Dr. Michelle Yagoda
The surgery is usually performed under local anesthesia, some patients and very young patients opt for a sedation anesthesia. The stitches will be behind the ear and a bandage will be worn around the ears for the first day. The next day, the bandage will be changed to a looser one. We recommend that you bring a soft cotton hair band to use for this purpose. I allow my patients to take the head band off 48 hours after surgery for showering. The band should be worn all of the time except for some breaks for the first 7-14 days after surgery. After that time frame I recommend that the head band be worn to protect the ears at night (while sleeping) and whenever performing any strenuous activity. This is to protect the ears.
Generally speaking, pain is usually experienced the first night after surgery and a medication is given to help alleviate this. After the first night, my patients rarely need any additional pain medication.
Many people go back to work fairly quickly. Especially if they can wear their head bands to work.
Recovery time after otoplasty
I perform otoplasty under general anaesthesia and patients go home the same day. I use all dissolving sutures. I put local local anaesthetic in and around the ears so that everything will be completely numb for many hours afterwards. I wrap both ears up in a bulky bandage and you take it easy for the next week. Obviously you would not be able to wash your hair during that time. One week following the surgery, the bandages are removed. After that, I just have you wear a sweatband type headband at night for the next few weeks. No swimming or sport for 2 or 3 weeks.
I hope this helps.
I ask that they take 3-5 days off from work, and no strenuous activity for 7 days after surgery.
Recovery after Otoplasty
Adults are able to return to work in a week or less; children are able to return to school in about the same time, but should avoid PE activities for at least 2 weeks from the day of surgery.
I recommend obtaining a full evaluation by a plastic surgeon so you can get a more individualized idea of what to expect during and after surgery. Good luck!
Recovery time after ear pin back surgery
During the first week you will have to wear a support bandage or a tennis band around your ears 24/7.
After the first week you need to wear a tennis band around your ears only at night when you go to bed for about 4-6 weeks. This is to avoid accidental folding of the ear that can undo the repair and the results.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.