What was your recovery time after an otoplasty? How long did it take to heal from the ear surgery?
Otoplasty Recovery Time
Doctor Answers 38
There are various phases during the recovery process of a well executed otoplasty performed by a surgeon with expertise in ear reshaping:
- First 24 hours- Patient wears a mild compressive garment on the head. Patient ear appear larger and more swollen than ideal
- 24 to 72 hours- Patient wears headband over ears as much as possible. Majority of swelling begins to dissipate
- 72 hours to First Week- Some patients will be able to return to work depending on their hairstyle and comfort with swelling in ear and duties at work
- First Week to Second Week- Most patients feel comfortable in social situations with ears
- Three Months-Swelling Completely subsided
Otoplasty Recovery Time
Otoplasty Montreal Recovery Time
At my practice I offer 3 types of anesthesia:
- Pure local anesthesia, for which an analgesic product is locally injected to ensure the insensitivity of the ears.
- Local anesthetic by tranquilizers administered intravenously.
- Classis general anesthesia during which the patient is completely asleep.
The choice between these different techniques will be the result of a discussion between you, the anesthesiologist and myself. Surgery is usually done on an outpatient basis. Your recovery will vary according to what anaesthesia you chose.
Pain is very mild. The dressing will be removed at the end of the first week. The ears will appear swollen and bruised. A hand band will then be worn for two additional weeks. Showering is allowed at the end of the first week. Contact sports must be avoided. Cold hypersensitivity is common for a few months.
A few months of healing are necessary before results are stable. Scars will remain pink for about six months. The new shape of the ear is usually permanent but slight recurrence of the deformity is possible.
Hope this helped. Best of luck,
You might also like...
The results are quite life-changing for most patients. Post-operatively, here's what to expect:
- Typically a compressive bandage is placed at the completion of the surgery
- Then, a looser dressing is placed for another week.
- A headband is worn at night while sleeping for the next 4-6 weeks.
- light head band (like ski band around their ears for one to two weeks.
- No lifting or carrying anything more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks.
- No strenuous activity for 2 weeks.
- The ear must stay dry for one week.
- Results are very obvious once the dressing is removed, but some swelling can last for 6 weeks or more.
Dr. Michelle Yagoda
Ear Reshaping (Otoplasty) Recovery Time and Care
Otoplasty or ear reshaping is one of the most rewarding plastic surgery procedure for both the patient and the surgeon.
Below is my protocol that I have found to lead to good and predictable results:
- Typically we place a compressive bandage on the ear for 24 hours and patients are encouraged to wear a light head band (like ski band around their ears for one to two weeks.
- Typically the sutures are resorbable and do not need to be removed.
- Usually patient can do their activity of daily living. No heavy activities for few weeks.
- Patients can go back to work in a few days.
- Generally satisfactory healing and assessment of results at 3 months.
- The results are very obvious quickly after surgery once the dressing is removed.
Revisions are possible but rare.
Hope this is helpful.
Recovery After Ear Surgery
Recovery after ear surgery depends on the problem to be treated, what was done, the skill of you doctor, after surgery care, ear dressing, and other factors best discussed during a consultation. My patients are up and about the day of surgery. Bouncing, bending the head down below the level of the heart, and vigerous activities evolve over time. Patients are usually back to light work the week of surgery. Comfort is the guide nature provides as to what the body can do.
Start by Minimizing Swelling and Bruising
I prefer techniques with minimial swelling and bruising. This is something best demonstrated with pictures at different times after surgery showing the evolution of tissues. Choosing a doctor who shows such pictures will give you a better idea of the typical problem that doctor's sculpture creates.
Continue with Ear Protection
A formal ear dressing after surgery helps protect the ears early after surgery. How long depends on what was done. For a normal ear pinback, this dressing is needed for 1-5 days after surgery. We typically change this dressing the day after surgery and every other day until it is not needed. For some patient, I then use a head band to protect the ears when sleeping. When done right, the maximum swelling occurs the day of surgery.
Patient Education Key
A well informed patient is key to a quick recovery. That is why for our patients we put so much information on the web so they can better understand what surgery offers, limitations after surgery, and other details to make their recovery easier.
Hope this helps.
Otoplasty recovery time
Recovery time from on otoplasty usually lasts approximately two weeks. The ears tend to stay red, purple and swollen for a two-week period time after the procedure. An Otoplasty procedure is performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.
Ear Surgery Recovery
The recovery time varies a little bit based on the extent of the procedure. Oftentimes the dressing is removed the next day and the patient wears at night a soft head band which protects the ears for several weeks to months depending on the type of otoplasty performed. There will be some swelling and bruising the first week or so. The ears are tender for several months. Most patients return to their normal activity in 7-10 days.
Thank you for your question. Recovery time after otoplasty is somewhat variable. Generally speaking, you are relatively social at the 1-2 week mark by which time the associated swelling and bruising is at an acceptable level. By 6 weeks to 3 months, most visible signs of the otoplasty will have subsided. Some tenderness may persist beyond this point but is generally tolerable. A light elastic headband needs to be worn at all times for about 1 week after surgery, and then only at night for 1 month. This is a preventative measure so the ears are not disturbed or traumatized while sleeping. It also aids in assisting the healing process to occur where the ears are positioned. Although light walking can be initiated 24 hours after surgery, aerobic exercising (light, non-contact) should be avoided for 2 weeks and more strenuous activities avoided for 6 weeks. A consultation with an expert in facial plastic surgery with expertise in Otoplasty will allow for proper assessment of your individual needs.
Otoplasty recovery is usually very
well tolerated. A dressing is in place for the first night following surgery
and is removed in the morning of the first post op day. There is commonly mild
pain the first night that is well tolerated with standard pain meds. The ears
are commonly tender to touch for several weeks. I have my patients where a
loose head band for the first week and then at night for an additional week.
Sutures are removed in one week and patients can resume normal activities with
the exception of vigorous exercise which I like my patients to wait for 3 weeks
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.