I had gastric sleeve surgery 5 months ago, I lost 75lbs. I'm considering a male tummy tuck with six pack?

I had Gastric sleeve surgery 5 months ago, I lost 75 lbs. I'm considering a male tummy tuck with six pack and I'm look at this Dr. Marcos Petro in Colombia some here knows him or something?

Male tummy tuck - in Colombia

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • Please do not have surgery until six months after you have lost all your weight.
  • This avoids your having surgery - only to gain weight and not get a good result.
  • Please have your surgery in your area - out-of-country surgery has many many more problems than surgery done near your home.
  • If you go to Colombia or elsewhere abroad, arrange a plastic surgeon willing to see you after your come home in case you need treatment.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck after gastric sleeve

If your weight is now stable, you could go ahead with surgery at this time.  I am unaware of this particular surgeon.  Although many U.S. surgeons frown on going for surgery abroad, it is something to consider especially if cost is a major consideration for you.  South American surgeons were some of the world's pioneers in cosmetic surgery, though you have to make sure the surgeon you choose is of high quality.  It can be difficult getting follow up care back in the U.S. so you may want to remain near the site of your surgery for a while to minimize the chance of having an issue after coming home and then having to go back there.  Good luck!

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

I had gastric sleeve surgery 5 months ago and lost 75 pounds. I'm considering a male tummy tuck with six pack?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your weight loss from surgery.  I would first recommend allowing your weight to stabilize for at least several months prior to pursuing surgery as this allows your skin to retract as much as possible.  Once weight stable, do your research into your surgeon to ensure their qualifications and ability to perform a tummy tuck safely and well.  Medical tourism may appears less expensive but once home and with limited access to your surgeon, costs may rise considerably.  Best wishes.

Medical Tourism

Congratulations on your weight loss!  I don't know the surgeon you mention, but I do have some general advice when it comes to seeking out a surgeon, whether it is a surgeon in the US or outside of the country.  First, make sure the surgeon(s) you are researching have met the highest qualifications in their country (in the US this means the surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons). This does not mean you are guaranteed to get the results you want, but at least you have chosen a surgeon whose knowledge, safety, and ethics have been evaluated.. Next, make sure the surgeon has been trained to do the type of surgery you are interested in (not a weekend course!, but an actual legitimate, recognized residency program). Also check if the surgeon has experience doing that type of surgery (you can start by looking at the surgeon's before and afters, though it is not unheard of for surgeons to falsely show other surgeons' results), hold hospital privileges at a nearby hospital (in case of emergency), and give you the sense of trust you need from your surgeon. Tummy tuck surgery in particular carries certain risks, and one of them is a deep venous thrombosis (DVT) in the leg, and this is potentially fatal. In the US, in accredited operating rooms there are certain safety measures taken, and certain protocols are followed after surgery. A reputable surgeon in another country would likely have similar concerns, but the rules in each country vary. Also, flying increases the risk of DVT so be careful how you time your surgery and travel plans. Please do not choose a surgeon outside of the country that you know nothing about, or only know one friend who had a nice result. That friend could have gotten lucky. You want to plan for good results, not hope for luck. There are obviously excellent surgeons all over the world, but figuring out who they are is not easy, and when you have so many great ones to choose from in New York, or elsewhere in the US, you need to have a really good reason to go elsewhere.A side note- For the best result, timing matters. I would recommend waiting until you are no longer actively losing weight, and have maintained a stable weight for at least 6 months.

Anita Patel, MD

Male Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your inquiry!

Based on your inquiry, I would suggest completing thorough research to find a board certified plastic surgeon that best suits your needs. Once you find your ideal surgeon, schedule a consultation to see if they will provide you with a personalized plan to ensure the best results for your case. You seem to be a candidate for the tummy tuck procedure of which we offer within my practice. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far!

Best of luck

Specific surgeon

Congratulations on your weight loss! If you are interested in this surgeon, schedule an appointment with him to discuss the surgery.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Gastric sleeve 5 months ago, considering a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck.  I would recommend not going to Columbia for surgery.  Should you have any concerns or complications your surgeon will be available to see you, if needed.  Be sure to review their before and after pictures and read online reviews.  Best of luck to you and congrats on your weight loss!

Chad Robbins, MD

I had gastric sleeve surgery 5 months ago, I lost 75lbs. I'm considering a male tummy tuck with six pack

Hello dear, thanks for your post. I recomend to wait at least 8 month after the sleeve gastric, because at this point you can keep loosing weight, and if you go through a tummy tuck and then keep loosing your skin is going to start getting saggy and you wont have the results that you really want. I recommend to make an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy Tuck after Weight Loss

When patients have experienced extreme weight loss due to diet and exercise, #gastricbypass surgery, or #stomachstapling  or #lapband surgery, there will be excess body skin that needs removal. In order to correct this problem many patients will need a #TummyTuck surgery, #panniculectomy, or #abdominoplasty.   This is becoming a highly requested procedure among patients who wish to rid themselves of excess skin and tighten muscle in their abdominal area. This procedure can be beneficial for patients with loose skin and stretch marks following weight gain and then loss, and patients who have undergone significant weight loss.

Now, there is no way that a six pack can be guaranteed. If you have had trouble losing abdominal fat with diet and exercise, your gastric bypass would have been a big help, but the development of a six pack would depend upon abdominal exercises. Good luck!