Should I go for a Hairline Lowering or Hair Transplant? (photos)

I really want to go for a hairline lowering but I'm scared of scarring.( By the way I don't suffer from hair loss, my forehead size is due to genetics)

My bias is hair transplant in your case to lower the hairline

In skin of color, you have to consider the scarring potential of any procedure. Your skin may be more prone to keloids and you at risk for pigmentary changes (hyperpigmentation) after procedures. Hair transplantation is less traumatic to the hairline. If you compare inserting grafts with small needles vs. incising and sewing the skin back together the entire length of the hair line you are less like to get keloids and hyperpigmentation through hair transplantation.  Assuming you have adequate donor hair and a trustworthy surgeon, you can get an idea of the amount of coverage or advancement of the hairline you could get in one session of transplantation. Having a consultation for both procedures is never a bad idea but make sure your doctor is comfortable working on patients who look like you.

San Antonio Dermatologist

Hairline lowering versus grafting

I get to see a lot of patients on both sides of this question.  The scar in hairline lowering is generally excellent and not really noticeable.  Grafting can be excellent as well, and many patients find that a single surgery just does not get them the density they desire.  Find an expert like Dr. Sheldon Kabaker in Oakland, CA and get a good opinion.  I think you would probably like the results from the hairline lowering to be honest (and this from someone who does grafting!)

Good Luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

There are advantages and disadvantages of any surgical procedure. It is best to see a doctor

There are advantages and disadvantages of any surgical procedure.  It is best to see a doctor for a consultation to find out which type of surgery is best for your particular case. 

Scarring is one disadvantage of hair line lowering surgery but in most instances it is not significant.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Should I go for a Hairline Lowering or Hair Transplant?

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Organic Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called “donor site” to bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Grafts containing hair follicles that are obtained from genetically resistant to balding area transplanted to the bald scalp by latest minimally invasive technique. One of the most important reasons of the hair loss is the decreased quality of the scalp. Therefore to make the only transplantation would provide only a limited benefit without improving the quality of the scalp. In the “Organic Hair Transplantation”

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hairline Lowering Procedure vs Hair Transplants

The hair line lowering procedure which we described many years ago can reposition the hairline in one step except in those patients with a tight scalp that will require the use of a tissue expander . Hair transplants done by an experienced surgeon can also be used but the density of the hair may not be as great. I obviously have a bias toward the hairline lowering procedure but I suggest you see others who have had each technique so you can compare results..

Hair transplant

You do appear to have some thinning on the sides, which is better served with a hair transplant. You can have the hairline lowered, and depending on how much you want to lower it, may require more than one transplant to increase density. Have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon to see what your options are.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Hairline lowering surgery vs hair grafts

Both are excellent options for lowering your hairline. Traditionally, the high hairline has been addressed by hair transplantation. Hair grafts can look natural here but may require a number of procedures, depending on the density and the amount of lowering required. Perhaps two years would need to pass before the process is completed. Hairline lowering or advancement (also known as forehead reduction) is an efficient and effective method of reducing the forehead with immediately noticeable results. The ideal patient for the hairline advancement procedure is typically female who is born with a high hairline and no personal or familial history of progressive hair loss.

To select appropriate candidates for this procedure, a thorough examination of the scalp must be performed with a focus on scalp laxity, direction of hair exit, and frontotemporal points and recessions. These key elements are important for selecting appropriate candidates for hairline lowering surgery. Forward-growing hairs at the hairline allow for hair growth through the scar and the highest probability of scar camouflage. Patients with backwards exiting hairs at any point along the hairline (as seen in those with cowlicks) should understand that they might require future hair transplantation to disguise the scar and achieve optimal results. Hair grafting can be performed for individuals who desire coverage of deep temporal recessions or advancement of the downward-facing temple hairs. 

Adequate scalp laxity can be determined by the relative ease of moving the hair-bearing scalp forward and backward and the pinching of forehead skin. For patients with relatively tight scalps, massaging the scalp in a backward-forward movement for a month before the surgery can improve the forward advancement achieved.

In order to determine which procedure is ideal for you, a proper examination is necessary. Good luck! 

Sahar Nadimi, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant to Lower Hairline

Thank you for your photos. You are correct about scarring and hairline advancement. I prefer transplantation but only if done artistically and correctly.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline lowering versus hair transplant

The ability to lower the hairline surgically relates to your scalp elasticity and the anatomy of your hairline.  The photos from the side view are a bit limited but it does appear that you have a little recession in the temple area.  This would then favor the use of hair grafting to lower your hairline.  

Hairline advancement without a noticeable scar for a high hairline.

Hairline advancement without a noticeable scar for a high hairline. Having  created the procedure for treating this problem 35 years ago we feel that the advancement is faster, cheaper, and does not leave a noticeable scar if properly done.  With one procedure the surgery can lower your hairline if there is enough elasticity in your scalp without using a tissue expander. How far the hairline would be lowered would be determined by the elasticity of your scalp. See a very experienced surgeon who does this and look  at his results of the hairline and you should not see a visible scar.  The results are immediate without waiting a year or more for hair to grow and there is no hair texture change as is seen with grafting.