Are these cracks (spaces with no follicles) normal 4 - 5 days after a hair transplant? (Photos)

Hello I had my hair transplant exactly 5 days ago, yesterday (day 4) I noticed a small crack with no hairs in it, I didn't pay much attention to it, but today I notice more... One side was done by my doctor and the other by a nurse, and the side that is having more empty spaces from my perspective is the side that was done by the nurse (left side)... is this normal? am I being paranoid? or does this mean that these cracks will definitely have no hair in them in the future?

Cracks after hair transplant

Cracks in recipient area after hair transplant are secondary to aggregation of your scalp.  This is not uncommon and won’t affect the final result of your hair transplant as long as they are washed properly before the procedure. At this point, I would wait to see how you look at one year then reevaluate your options.  Lastly, you should follow up with your hair restoration physician.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

5 days following transplant

It is very difficult to tell at 5 days what you actually looked like immediately after the surgery. Ask your doctor for your post operative pictures

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It would be best to contact your doctor for a follow up exam. You are likely not washing your hair / scalp well enough.

It would be best to contact your doctor for a follow up exam.  You are likely not washing your hair / scalp well enough.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Empty areas

It is likely that these "cracks" are empty areas that were not transplanted, and will not grow hair. Usually the transplanted hairs start to fall out around day 7 or so, and the only way to really tell is waiting for your final result in 12 months. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Small crack with no hair

Those areas not cracks , just empty areas. Number of transplanted hair is low on both side and of course these empty areas will yield no hair in future . You will need a second op to increase density .

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Spaces after transplant

The areas where no grafts (follicles) are visible will not grow any hairs but hopefully the adjacent grafts will provide adequate coverage.Your physician probably felt this spacing would ensure that the grafts had enough blood supply to support healthy growth.However,like many patients you may decide to do another procedure in the future to further increase density in that area.

David Deutsch, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon