6 weeks post op Tummy Tuck, is this normal swelling?

Is this normal swelling i will be 6 weeks post op in 2 days i have worn compression 24/7. It is always worse at the end of the day

Doctor Answers 9

Is this swelling normal at 6 weeks post op?

It is hard to say from the images you have provided  and without comparative photos from earlier in your recovery, without seeing what you looked like prior to surgery, as well as without knowing whether you had significant liposuction done with your tummy tuck.
Your surgeon is the best person to assess this, but it appears that you do not excessive  or abnormal swelling. Better photos in what are called standard positions would be helpful. The feel of your abdomen is also important. Ask your surgeon to reassess you.


Vancouver Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

6 weeks post op Tummy Tuck, is this normal swelling?

Dear Jewels, thank you for your question. 6 weeks is still early days following an abdominoplasty. The degree of swelling also depends on the level of activity you have and on how extensive the surgical procedure has been. 
I would advise to wait a few more weeks and then would go back to your surgeon for assessment.
Best of luck

Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 112 reviews

How Long Will Swelling Last after Tummy Tuck?

  • Swelling, or edema, is normal after a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and after 3 months most of the edema is gone, however, it can actually take as long as a year to see your final results!
  • Incidentally, we have found that patients who have had massive weight loss prior to their abdominoplasty tend to have edema stick around longer than other patients. 
  • The photos you have provided look great, and you mention that your swelling is worse at the end of the day. More swelling at the end of day is expected, and I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Six weeks in "surgery time" isn't very long!
  • Consider meeting with your plastic surgeon, as I'm sure he/she will also be able to reassure you that everything is healing up just fine.  Thanks for sharing!

Normal swelling six weeks after in abdominoplasty.

From the photograph it looks like there is nothing to worry about. Swelling can vary a great deal from patient to patient after in abdominoplasty.

Vincent N. Zubowicz, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Early result after an abdominoplasty

Thanks for your question and photo post.  You look fairly normal for 4 weeks post op.  Give it another 3 months before you start to judge the final result.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Swelling after abdominoplasty

It is normal to have swelling for months after abdominoplasty.  I tell my patients that 80% of the swelling usually resolves in the first 4-6 weeks, while the remaining 20% can take 3-6 months.   You should talk to your surgeon about your concerns.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

6 weeks post op Tummy Tuck, is this normal swelling?

Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.  6 weeks is still early for an opinion based on a photo.  In general, it is not unusual to have more swelling later in the day due to being in the upright position.  Water runs down hill, so swelling is expected.  Follow your Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 55 reviews

6 weeks post op Tummy Tuck, is this normal swelling?

Best is to have it checked by your plastic surgeon. A seroma may have to be excluded. These can develop despite wearing the garment and is considred the most common complication following tummy tuck surgery.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Swelling after a tummy tuck.

Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Generally, it takes at least 3 months for the results of a tummy tuck to stabilize.  End of the day swelling can take even longer to resolve.

Best wishes.

Timothy Connall, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.