Any Creams for Raised Blepharoplasty Scars?

Is there a cream for raised scar from blepharoplasty over 2 years ago? I didn't think Mederma could be used around eyes. My eyelids are also still very red.

Doctor Answers 9

You need a thorough evaluation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To valbeckaboo,

Hi.  Creams are not going to help.  It sounds like you have an unusual problem, and you might need another operation.  I recommend that you see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Raised blepharoplasty scars are uncommon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is uncommon for a blepharoplasty scar to be raised at 2 years. At this point, I have reservations about whether a cream will make it go away. Have you discussed this with your surgeon?

Darrick E. Antell, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Consult with your original surgeon or an eye plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Vaveckaboo,

By two years, the blepharoplasty scars should be quiet and barely visible. Having them raised and an issue two years after surgery suggest that you need a scar revision which is considered to be a relatively minor procedure. Essentially just the scar tissue is excised and the eyelid is put back together. This type of procedure can be very comfortably performed in the office setting.

I would imagine that your original surgeon would be interested in helping you with this problem as the issue reflects on his skills as a blepharoplasty surgeon. Surgeons differ regarding the financial policies for these types of touch ups. It is not uncommon for the surgeon to charge nothing for their time to perform this type of revision but ask you to pay the supplies and other facility fees. This is certainly much less expensive that starting up with an entirely new surgeon who is likely to be a little less generous than the original surgeon.

So rather than recommend a cream and encourage you to be treating yourself for this problem, I recommend that you see your surgeon. If for some reason you are uncomfortable with this or the surgeon is not available, consider visiting, the website for the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery which has a directory of eye plastic surgeons and you can find a well trained eye plastic surgeon in your area.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Any creams for raised blepharoplasty scars?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello! Thank you for the question! Revision is reasonable given your description, especially after two years. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Using ointment or Vaseline does well - avoiding creams and lotions to eyelids. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Abnormal scarring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Raised textures indicate that your scars probably haven't healed normally and are hypertrophic, or even keloids if the scars are larger than the incisions. I suggest you see your surgeon to talk about this, since revision surgery may be necessary.

Too late after eyelid surgery for creams

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Creams are most effective when used in the first year. Have you seen your surgeon about a scar revision?

Best regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Cortisone creams for blepharoplasty scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Those scars shold have matured and be almost "invisible" after 2 years. Massage cortisone cream into scars 2-3 times daily until you get the result you want. If your skin starts to lighten, then stop.

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Too late for scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your scars a well healed and in fact are very mature. This means they won't change significantly any more. I wish you had included a picture to see what you mean. The eyelids are the best scarring area of the body and are immune from keloids and hypertrophic scarring (we don't know why). So red, raised scars are interesting. Most likely at this point the scars will need to be revised. This is not a significant surgery. Mederma doesn't do anything. The only thing that may help immediately after surgery is silicone but it's too late for that now.

See your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.

Most creams wiil not work after 2 years

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have hypertrophic scar and creams willl not work. Please go back to your doctor or get a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon to examine and recommend the proper treatment fo your problem.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 153 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.