What's the best treatment for deep acne scarring? I'm not sure what type of scarring I have.

First and foremost, I understand that with my type of scarring, I may not be able to get 100% improvement in my scarring. I am just looking for the best improvement possible. I am a 27 year old Caucasian female with deeper acne scarring. I also have a few very fine lines on my forehead that I also wish to improve. I mainly only have scarring on both cheeks and slightly around the mouth. What would be my best option?

Acne Scar Treatment with Fraxel and eMatrix

Deep acne scars may need a combination of injections to raise the scar with Restylane or Sculptra to increase the collagen in the skin.  eMatrix or Fraxel would be the best lasers to treat these acne scars with minimal downtime.  Please consult a dermatologist with expertise in acne scars for the best results.

There are a variety of options

I agree its hard to say without examining you, but most acne scars can be improved.  My favorite new device for this is lutronic's Infini, it works as well as a C02 laser in my opinion with little downtime, and it is safe in patients with darker skin types.  This can also be combined with some direct excisions, subcisions, prp and filler injections.   The infini can also address fine lines and wrinkles and tighten you skin.  Consults are free if you are interrested in being evaluated.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scars

When it comes to acne scar treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (medical grade skin care products specific for acne including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), advanced laser resurfacing procedures (CO2 laser, Er:YAG laser, Fraxel DUAL®, PicoSure® FOCUS Lens Array), chemical peels (light, medium, deep including the blue peel), dermabrasion, augmentation/fillers, excision and/or subcision, punch techniques, microneedling/rolling, injections (corticosteroids, 5-FU), cryosurgery, electrodesiccation and microdermabrasion. 

These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Acne scar treatments

As far as devices go, I think the Infini is better than lasers at improving acne scars. I have experience with CO2, Fraxel, and microneedling. Adding PRP will help somewhat. after a few treatments with the Infini, deeper scars can be filled with Bellafill and subcision.  See link

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne Scar treatment

Without evaluating your scars, it is difficult to make treatment recommendations.  In general, I like to utilize a combination of treatments for scars-lasers, subcision, peels, and PRP.  Usually but combining modalities, I can get very good results.
I suggest you have a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist who is comfortable and knowledgeable in treating scars.
Good Luck!

Sejal Shah, MD

Options for acne scar improvement

While complete improvement of deep acne scarring is not possible, significant improvement can be achieved with new options in technology and treatment.  Out approach is to first pre treat the skin  with medical skincare to reduce any ongoing inflammation and active acne and make the skin more tolerant of treatment.  While we have seen encouraging results with laser therapy, deep chemical peeling and fat grafting, our current regimen using a new technology combining deep micro needling with focal energy (Infini RF) is extremely encouraging.   Deeper scarring often will require combined therapies and more treatments to obtain the best result.  

Acne Scars

Acne scars are very difficult- but there is definitely hope and they can be improved! It takes time and several treatments to see results.
I use sciton resurfacing, and combine the depths so that I have a "layering" effect.
Sometimes punch biopsies help if the scars are deep.
Find someone you trust and work with them for a year.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon