I got nose surgery done and one of my dissolving stitches came undone.

It's only been two days and I have been poking a cutip in it so I can breathe and clean I am very scared if I messed up something

Hi Kaylie,It is always best to direct your post op questions to your operating surgeon.  I doubt that you have "messed" anything up.  Leave your nose alone for now until your see your doc.  Good luck and be well.Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Postop rhinoplasty

If you have concerns about a loose stitch (or anything else related to your recent surgery), I would visit your surgeon. I usually allow my patients to use nasal saline to help clean the nose and loosen up any crust formation. Also I would avoid putting anything inside the nose to prevent any bleeding or infection. But it's best to check with your surgeon and follow their postoperative instructions carefully. The first week after a rhinoplasty is often the most challenging but every day gets easier. Best of luck

Sahar Nadimi, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: stitches coming undone

Not being able to breathe through the nose immediately after rhinoplasty is quite common due to crusting and swelling inside the nose. I recommend avoiding putting anything in your nose but likely a stitch coming out inside your nose is of little consequence. A stitch on the outside of the nose may be of greater consequence. Please consult your doctor.

Taha Shipchandler, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: instructions after surgery

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Your surgeon will have instructions to keep you on track. One common recommendation is to avoid putting things in your nose as you may introduce bacteria to your healing nose. If any stitches come undone I would return to your surgeon to be examined. Keep your appointments and stick to your surgeon's after-care instructions for a happy outcome, safety comes first!

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

You should talk to your surgeon. I do not allow my patients to place a q-tip or anything else in their nose for at least one week for just that reason and the risk if bleeding.

Thank you for your question.It is important that you contact your surgeon regarding this issue. They will need to do an internal examination to make sure you haven’t caused any damage. I would not recommend sticking anything into your nose right after a rhinoplasty procedure as there is potential to introduce bacteria into the area or cause damage.
Best of luck in your recovery.
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon